Maruti sales leap 15.1 percent following surge in exports (Lead)May 1st, 2009 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) India’s largest passenger car manufacturer Maruti Suzuki’s cumulative sales for April rose 15.1 percent to 71,748 units, up from 62,336 units sold the same month last year, the company said Friday.
While its domestic sales increased 9 percent to 64,857 units, its exports during the month surged 146.4 percent to 6,891 units as against 2,797 units sold in April 2008.
Maruti, despite being India’s largest car manufacturer, trails behind Hyundai in the export segment, and had last week announced plans to aggressively foray into the overseas market.
“This is the fourth consecutive month of sales crossing the 70,000 units mark,” a company statement said.
The company suffered almost a 30 percent decline in profits last fiscal due to escalating input prices and low sales last fiscal.
Last month, the highest volumes were driven by the A2 segment, which includes its compact offerings such as Alto, Wagon R, Swift, Zen and the newly-launched A-Star, selling 46,817 units at a growth of 9 percent.
However, the maximum growth was recorded in its sedan offerings in the A3 segment comprising the SX4 and the Swift D’zire, which clocked a 69 percent increase in sales at 7,066 units.
Sales of its flagship model, Maruti 800, which has been on the roads for over 27 years and will be phased out by 2014 declined 47 percent to 2,345 units during the month.
The automaker’s sports utility vehicle Grand Vitara, and its multi-utility vehicle Gypsy did a revival, recording 1,231 percent growth to 905 units as against 68 cars sold in April last year.
- Maruti sales jump 15 percent in April - May 01, 2009
- Maruti Suzuki logs 9.2 percent sales growth - Aug 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki sales down 40 percent in August - Sep 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki October sales up 39.2 percent - Nov 01, 2010
- Maruti Suzuki's April sales up 3.4 percent - May 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's June sales rise 20 percent - Jul 02, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki April sales soar 30 percent - May 01, 2010
- Auto makers log growth despite rising prices - May 02, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki May sales up 1.9 percent - Jun 01, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki November sales up 28 percent - Dec 01, 2010
- Maruti Suzuki's March sales up 3.3 percent - Apr 02, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's May sales down five percent - Jun 01, 2012
- Maruti's sales drop by 8.8 percent in June - Jul 01, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki April sales nudge up 4.4 percent - May 02, 2011
- Indian auto makers post record sales in festive October - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: a3, automaker, car manufacturer, cumulative sales, flagship model, foray, grand vitara, gypsy, input prices, maximum growth, may 1, New Delhi, passenger car, revival, s sports, segment, sports utility vehicle, sx4, zen, zire