Maruti launches hatchback Ritz, its 12th compact car (Lead)May 15th, 2009 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki Friday rolled out its 12th compact model Ritz, a hatchback, priced between Rs.390,000 and Rs.480,000 for the petrol version.
The diesel variant will cost between Rs.465,000 and Rs.499,000 in the national capital, top officials of the company said here.
Ritz - a variant of Suzuki’s European car Splash but 95 percent of which is indigenously built - will be available with two different engine options: a new 1.2-litre, four-cylinder 85 PS petrol version, and the group’s successful 1.3-litre, 16-valve DDiS diesel engine - the same that powers the Swift Diesel.
“We had promised one new offering every year, we are fulfilling that promise,” said Maruti Suzuki managing director and chief executive Shinzo Nakanishi at the launch.
“The Ritz combines modern European design, the sportiness of the Swift, the latest in engine technology and Suzuki’s globally acclaimed expertise in compact cars,” said the company that claims a 58 percent market share in the compact car segment.
Developed on the platform of its largest selling compact car, Swift, the car will be available in five variants, three with petrol engines - LXi, VXi and ZXi and two with diesel engines - LDi and VDi.
The Ritz seats five passengers, comfortably delivers 17.7 km to a litre, has a turning radius of 4.7 metres, a high ground clearance of 17 cm, and complies with BS-IV emission norms. It comes in 10 shades, eight of them metallic.
“Customers are becoming very discerning, and we want to serve everyone’s needs by providing alternatives within the brand,” said managing executive officer (marketing and sales) Mayank Parekh.
“We found that if you have multiple brands in the same category, sales grow. Marginal cannibalisation may happen but overall sales will go up,” said Parekh.
The company also plans to hike production of its diesel engines to 300,000 units by end of this year for both exports and domestic consumption.
- Maruti launches new hatchback Ritz - May 15, 2009
- Maruti Suzuki unveils new Swift DZire - Feb 01, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches SX4's diesel variant - Feb 22, 2011
- Maruti ramps up car production to bring down waiting period - Feb 03, 2012
- Ford launches small car Figo with four variants - Mar 09, 2010
- Maruti plans to roll out SUVs and MPVs - Feb 03, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches new Swift model - Aug 17, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki launches Ertiga, enters MUV market - Apr 12, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki grows 24.8 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- Maruti to launch new hatchback May 15 - May 05, 2009
- Maruti Suzuki unveils multi-purpose vehicle Ertiga - Jan 06, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki launches new variant of super seller 'Alto' - Aug 05, 2010
- Maruti Suzuki's January sales up 5.2 percent - Feb 01, 2012
- Maruti to focus on diesel cars (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- General Motors launches new Cruze model - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: cannibalisation, car segment, compact car, compact cars, compact model, diesel engines, emission norms, engine options, engine technology, ground clearance, largest carmaker, ldi, lxi, maruti suzuki, nakanishi, parekh, petrol engines, turning radius, vdi, vxi