Markets crash on opening, recover somewhatSeptember 18th, 2008 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 18 (IANS) The global financial turmoil following the collapse of Lehman Bros saw Indian equities markets Thursday crashing on opening but recovering somewhat one hour into trading.There was widespread panic selling as markets opened but short covering by bears helped stocks to recover some of the initial losses.
In mid-morning, the 30-share benchmark sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) breached the 13,000 mark and was at 12,760, down 502.86 points or 3.79 percent over its previous close of 13,262.90 Wednesday.
The broader based 50-share S&P Nifty of the NSE also fell and was at 3,866.85, down 141.4 points or 3.53 percent against its previous close at 4,008.25 Wednesday.
The BSE opened with the Sensex crashing by more than 700 points but began to recover on short covering.
The S&P Nifty too opened nearly 200 points down but then began to recover on short covering.
The BSE mid cap index was at 4,910.44, down 229.19 or 4.46 percent against its previous close at 5,139.63 points.
The BSE small cap index was at 5,917.61, down 297.14 points or 4.78 percent over its previous close at 6,214.75.
- Markets close flat as traders await monetary policy (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Sensex slips in morning trade - Jan 06, 2012
- Markets slip, recover but still end in red (Lead) - Sep 17, 2008
- Sensex quiet in morning trade - Jan 04, 2012
- Sensex closes dull, IT, metal stocks lose (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 88 points lower in see-saw trade (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 76 points lower (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 284 points lower (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Sensex closes lower, aviation stocks soar (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Sensex pares losses, closes 142 points down (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Best week for Sensex in over two years - Dec 02, 2011
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 238 points lower (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012