Mark Spitz says Phelps couldnt have beaten himAugust 21st, 2008 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 21 (ANI): Swimming legend Mark Spitz, who won seven gold medals in 1972 Olympics at Munich, thinks that there is only one man who Michael Phelps cant beat.
His name is Mark Spitz, he told reporters.
Spitz, the American swimmer whose record of seven gold medals in a single Olympics Games was shattered by Phelps, said that if the two legends squared off in their primes, it had to be a draw.
I think that the relationship between people that are great is they have a common thread of knowing how to beat their competitors and they know how to constantly be in shape and in top form, the Daily News quoted Spitz, as saying.
If thats the case, Id know everything about how to beat Michael, he said. Hed also know everything to beat me. Wed have to tie.
Spitz, 58, spoke graciously of the 23-year-old phenomenon Phelps who broke the record he set in the 1972 Munich Games.
Spitz even predicted that Phelps could bring in more golds in the next Olympics.
I believe that he can go for nine, Spitz said, noting that Phelps could add the 200-meter backstroke to his extraordinary repertoire. (ANI)
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012