Maoists’ strike hits life, iron ore movement in ChhattisgarhMay 20th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 20 (IANS) A two-day strike called by the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) in the violence-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh hit normal life in the interiors on the first day Wednesday and brought transportation of iron ore to a halt, police said.
Maoists have put heavy wooden logs on National Highway 221 in Dantewada district and National Highway 16 in Bijapur district and various state highways, police added.
The railway authorities have cancelled for three days the goods train that transports iron ore from the National Mineral Development Corporation’s (NMDC) Bailadilla mines in Dantewada district to Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. The train runs on the Kottavalasa-Kirandul (KK) rail line.
“Security in all vulnerable areas, mostly the government facilities, and police posts in forests have been beefed up,” Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general at police headquarters here, told IANS.
“We are taking all precautionary measures to deal with the strike but it has affected life in Bastar and road and rail traffic are the worst-hit,” Deo added.
Maoists have been running a parallel administration since late 1980s in the interiors of the state’s southern Bastar region. The 40,000 sq km region is spread over five districts - Dantewada, Bijapur, Kanker, Narayanpur and Bastar.
Over 1,500 people have been killed in the state in Maoist violence since Chhattisgarh was carved out of Madhya Pradesh in November 2000. Maoist rebels have stepped up violence in the state this month and have killed at least 35 people - mostly security personnel - in separate incidents.
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- Bastar deserted due to Maoist shutdown - Jul 29, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Maoist strike hits life, iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Maoist 'revolutionary week' hits life in Chhattisgarh - Jun 07, 2010
- Two killed in Chhattisgarh on Maoist stir's first day (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Life in Chhattisgarh hit as Maoists protest - Jan 03, 2011
- Maoist strike hits road, rail traffic in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Railways urge Chhattisgarh police to protect tracks, trains - May 05, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: chhattisgarh raipur, communist party of india, deputy inspector general, goods train, government facilities, iron ore, line security, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, mineral development, nmdc, police headquarters, police posts, precautionary measures, rail traffic, railway authorities, state highways, vulnerable areas, wooden logs