Maoists attack Essar Steel plant in ChhattisgarhApril 25th, 2008 - 11:47 pm ICT by admin
Raipur, Apr 25 (ANI): About 300 heavily armed Maoists on Friday attacked an iron ore beneficiation plant of Essar Steel in Chhattisgarh, and set 53 trucks and three heavy machines on fire, a senior police officer said.
The attack was carried out near Kirandul in the state’s Dantewada District where the insurgents have been running a de-facto administration for years.
“Armed rebels attacked Essar Steel’s iron ore facility and created havoc for hours, by setting at least 53 trucks and three heavy machines on fire, in a raid that ended in the early hours of Friday,” R. K. Vij, Inspector General of Police of Bastar range, told media.
The plant supplies high quality iron ore from its 8 million tonne per annum (MTPA) unit to the pellet plant at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
According to police, rebels overpowered a few employees working in the plant during night shift and then sprayed diesel on vehicles and set them on fire.
The rebels later slipped into the nearby forest.
The rebels left pamphlets at the attack site saying their act was to protest transportation of local rare natural resource iron ore to outside the state and the country.
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi is on a four-day visit to tribal pockets in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. (ANI)
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- Maoists attack Essar Steel plant in Chhattisgarh - Apr 25, 2008
- Rights activists demand release of suspected Maoist sympathiser - Sep 11, 2011
- Essar Group doubles steel capacity at Hazira, Gujarat - Feb 24, 2012
- Maoists set on fire 6 iron ore trucks in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoists raid Essar Steel plant in Chhattisgarh - Jun 10, 2008
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Maoists set six trucks on fire in Chhattisgarh - Aug 14, 2010
- Maoists raid NMDC mining complex, set ablaze 19 trucks (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - Mar 23, 2010
- Maoists set ablaze 19 trucks at NMDC mining complex - Jan 27, 2010
- Maoists set on fire iron ore-laden trucks in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Essar official held for funding Maoists - Sep 28, 2011
- Day after blast, terror stalks Chhattisgarh miners - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: essar steel, general secretary, havoc, inspector general, insurgents, iron ore beneficiation, maoists, natural resource, nearby forest, night shift, pamphlets, pockets, police officer, quality iron, rahul gandhi, raipur, rebels, steel plant, vij, visakhapatnam