Manmohan Singh heads for Cannes Wednesday for G20 SummitNovember 1st, 2011 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh heads for Cannes in the French Riviera Wednesday for the 6th G20 Summit where the focus of the leaders is expected to be on how to resolve the sovereign debt crisis in Europe.
The two-day summit Thursday-Friday is also expected to take stock on the progress so far on other matters discussed earlier, like mutual assessment of the fiscal policies of member nations and reform of World Bank and International Monetary Fund, officials said.
Like in the past five summits held in Washington, London, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Seoul, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia will be the prime minister’s sherpa, or chief interlocutor, during the meeting.
The prime minister returns Saturday.
The G20, originally formed at the level of finance ministers and central bank governors in 1999 after the East Asian economic crisis, assumed significance after its elevation to a summit-level forum in 2008, following the global financial crisis.
Besides India and host France, the G20 comprises Brazil, US, Canada, China, Argentina, Australia, South Korea, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, Britain, and the European Union.
These members account for 80 percent of the global gross domestic product and two-thirds of the world population.
- India can help in Eurozone crisis: Montek - Nov 03, 2011
- Manmohan Singh heads for G20 Summit in Cannes Wednesday - Oct 29, 2011
- Manmohan to meet leaders from Canada, Brazil at Seoul G20 - Nov 09, 2010
- Manmohan Singh reaches Seoul for G20 Summit - Nov 10, 2010
- Manmohan Singh reaches Seoul for G20 Summit (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Seoul G20 Summit with new vision (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- G20 looks to India, China for more funding to IMF - Nov 04, 2011
- Indian PM opposes protectionism, for rule-based economy (Third Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Manmohan leaves Seoul after attending G20 summit (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for G20 Summit in Seoul (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Greece has upset calculations, let it not multiply: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- Global economic situation, status of world recovery to be reviewed at G-20 Summit in Seoul, says Rao - Nov 09, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for G20 summit in Pittsburgh - Sep 23, 2009
- Manmohan in Pittsburgh for G20 summit - Sep 24, 2009
- Greece upset calculations, let it not spillover: Manmohan - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: asian economic crisis, britain and the european union, central bank governors, debt crisis, french riviera, fund officials, g20 summit, germany indonesia, global financial crisis, global gross domestic product, host france, international monetary fund, korea germany, level forum, manmohan singh, meeting the prime minister, montek singh ahluwalia, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, summit level