Manmohan Singh had a ‘powerful presence’ at G20: Lord MandelsonApril 2nd, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
By Dipankar De Sarkar
London, April 2 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had a quiet but “powerful” presence at the Group of 20 (G20) summit of world leaders Thursday, British Secretary of State for Business Lord Peter Mandelson said.
“He has such a presence, and he is so widely respected,” Mandelson told IANS.
“He is quiet and understated, which makes him all the more powerful,” the British minister added.
Mandelson, a strong advocate of the role of India and other emerging economies in the global economy, said emerging economies have been the “main winners” at the summit.
“They are the main winners in terms of resources and the international financial institutions (IFI),” he said.
Mandelson has described India and China as the “drivers of global growth” as countries around the world try to devise coordinated strategies to combat the global financial crisis.
India, Brazil, China and Russia were the main representatives of developing countries at the summit and argued for them to be given a much larger role in running the affairs of the International Monetary Fund, a key IFI whose resources are used to help out countries in financial difficulty.
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- Hu calls for reform of global monetary, financial systems - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS countries becoming rule makers: Chinese expert - Mar 29, 2012
- Will continue to support Europe in crisis: China - Mar 21, 2012
- Developed nations' problems now affect developing economies: IMF - Oct 16, 2011
- BRICS voices concern over slow pace of IMF reforms - Mar 29, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee arrives in Korea to attend G-20 Finance Ministers' meet - Jun 03, 2010
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- India, China, Russia to jointly tackle global issues - Apr 13, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS global spending on health increasing: Report - Mar 26, 2012
- G20 looks to India, China for more funding to IMF - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: british minister, british secretary, countries around the world, developing countries, dipankar, emerging economies, financial difficulty, g20, global economy, global financial crisis, global growth, international financial institutions, international monetary fund, manmohan, manmohan singh, peter mandelson, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sarkar, world leaders