Manali-Leh highway re-opens for trafficMay 21st, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 21 (IANS) The strategic Manali-Leh National Highway 21 re-opened for vehicular traffic Thursday after remaining closed for six months.
The highway was closed in mid-December due to heavy snowfall.
“The crucial 475 km Manali-Leh highway reopened for the traffic this (Thursday) morning,” said S.K. Doon, commander of the 38 Task Force of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) - a wing of the Border Roads Organisation that maintains the highway.
“All types of vehicles can now ply on the highway,” Doon told IANS.
The Manali-Leh highway passes through the most rugged and inhospitable terrain of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
The highway plays an important role for the movement of the armed forces to the forward areas in Ladakh.
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway reopened, 282 people rescued (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway likely to reopen Saturday - Jun 04, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway closed after landslides - Aug 06, 2010
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Snowfall forces closure of Manali-Leh highway - Oct 19, 2009
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - May 03, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway to be closed from Oct 31 - Oct 14, 2009
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011