Manali-Leh highway closed to trafficNovember 15th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 15 (IANS) The Manali-Leh highway, one of the highest motorable roads in the world, was closed to traffic Saturday due to snowfall, an official said.The 474-km long highway passes through cold deserts of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
“In the wake of fresh snowfall at Rohtang Pass (4,883m), Baralachala Pass (4,883m), Lachulunga (5,065m), and Tanglangla (5,360m), it’s not advisable to travel on the highway,” Lahaul and Spiti Deputy Commissioner C. Paul Rasu told IANS.
“As a precautionary measure, we have decided to close the traffic on the National Highway 21 from Nov 15 onwards,” he added.
The highway will now be opened for traffic in May-end.
Rasu said in the next few days temporary barricades erected at various places between the Baralachala Pass and Sarchu would be dismantled.
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi lays foundation stone for Rohtang tunnel - Jun 28, 2010
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopened, 282 people rescued (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Tourists evacuated from Rohtang Pass - Jul 11, 2011