Man holds seven hostage on plane in Jamaica (Second Lead)April 20th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston, April 20 (DPA) An armed man is holding two passengers and five crew members hostage aboard a charter plane on the Caribbean island of Jamaica, media reports said Monday.
The news channel CNN reported that the hostage taker has now released all but two of the 150 passengers scheduled to be on the flight, and continues to hold five crew members.
The channel said that the plane has been surrounded by police who were now negotiating with the man.
The plane had been scheduled to fly from the Sangster International airport in Montego Bay to Halifax in Canada.
According to the online edition of local newspaper The Gleaner, at 11 p.m. Sunday the gunman boarded the plane using false identification documents, and proceeded to rob passengers on the aircraft before holding them hostage.
The newspaper also said that at least one shot had been fired on board the plane, although it is not clear if anyone was injured.
The Gleaner quoted staff at the airport as saying that the hostage-taker appeared to be a Latin-American male. The paper reported that the plane belonged to the CanJet airline, although this has not been confirmed by the company.
- Jamaica hostage taker releases all plane passengers (Third Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Hostage situation at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica - Apr 20, 2009
- Jamaican hijacker storms Canadian plane for cash (Fourth Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Plane crashes at Jamaica airport in rain - Dec 24, 2009
- 40 injured as US plane overshoots runway in Jamaica (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Death Toll In Jamaica Likely To Mount - May 26, 2010
- Passengers held hostage aboard plane in Jamaica - Apr 20, 2009
- Delta employees arrested in Detroit airport for international drug smuggling - Apr 29, 2011
- Gayle could return as Jamaican captain - Oct 05, 2011
- 167 hostages released from plane in Jamaica, two being held (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Foreign plane detained at Jaipur (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Plane crashes in Jamaica, 40 hurt - Dec 23, 2009
- Man wanting to fight demons, demands death on camera - Mar 15, 2012
- RusLine passenger plane crashes in northwest Russia, 44 killed - Jun 21, 2011
- American Airlines Flight Crash In Jamaica: Leaves 40 Passengers Injured - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: airline, armed man, canada, canjet, caribbean island, charter plane, cnn, crew members, fly, gleaner, gunman, hostage taker, island of jamaica, kingston, montego bay, sangster international airport