Mamata to take up filmmakers’ tax woes with governmentNovember 22nd, 2010 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 22 (IANS) Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said she will take up the film industry’s concerns over taxation with the government. Her assurance came after filmmaker Yash Chopra raised the issue at the start of the 41st International Film festival of India (IFFI) here.
Speaking during the inaugural ceremony of the IFFI here, Banerjee agreed to take up the cudgels for the film industry on tax issues with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
“It is a matter related to the finance ministry and I will take up the issue of taxation with Pranab da (Mukherjee),” Banerjee said.
“Taxation is too much. I must pursue the matter. The film industry has contributed a lot to the country,” the Trinamool Congress leader said.
Chopra earlier said that the Indian film industry would be writing its obituary soon, if it was taxed any further.
Chopra slammed the government for devising a virtually strangulating tax regime, which comprised of a cocktail of taxes, including value added tax (VAT) and stamp duty.
“Why is the government (central) treating us in a step-motherly manner? If these new taxes come, I am sure they will come because they have made up their mind, filmmakers will not be able to make movies anymore,” said Chopra, who has won several awards including the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for lifetime achievement in films.
“India celebrates 100 years of cinema in 2012 and maybe they will be writing the obituary of Indian cinema then,” Chopra said.
- Goa looks at offering tax reimbursement to filmmakers - Nov 24, 2010
- On Indian cinema's centenary, wax statue to honour Phalke (With Images) - Feb 17, 2012
- Website to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema - Jul 12, 2012
- Kerala director to spend IFFI prize money on Oscar promotion - Dec 03, 2011
- No strike now: Bollywood happy with tax exemption (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Soni offers to help film industry over service tax - Feb 16, 2012
- Dev Anand, Pran receive Dadasaheb Phalke honour - Apr 30, 2010
- 'The Forlorn' opens Manipur's first International film fest - Apr 15, 2012
- Service tax rate raised by two percent (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Panel set up on international taxation - May 03, 2012
- No strike now: Bollywood happy with tax exemption - Mar 16, 2012
- Congrats Soumitra da, says Big B (Movie Snippets) - Mar 22, 2012
- Dharmendra to get Phalke Ratna award - Apr 21, 2011
- Tax on gold amounts to taxing culture: Congress MP - Apr 04, 2012
- Museum on Indian Cinema to be ready by May 2013: Soni - May 03, 2012
Tags: congress leader, cudgels, dadasaheb phalke award, finance minister, finance ministry, inaugural ceremony, indian cinema, indian film industry, international film festival, lifetime achievement, mamata banerjee, obituary, pranab mukherjee, railway minister, stamp duty, tax regime, tax woes, trinamool congress, value added tax, yash