Mamata orders probe into Bihar rail attackJune 1st, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 1 (IANS) Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday ordered a departmental inquiry into the disturbances at Khusrupur railway station in Bihar’s Patna district and promised to punish officials, if they are found guilty.
Addressing media persons at her Kalighat residence here, Banerjee said she or her ministry had been kept in the dark about any decision to not halt express trains at the station under the East Central Railway.
“If this was done, it was done without knowledge of the ministry. If there is something illegal we will see,” Banerjee said, adding she did not know the details yet and would find them out.
“If it was done to malign somebody, then that’s not fair,” she added.
Banerjee said the departmental inquiry would find out if any official has taken the decision without the knowledge of the ministry.
“We don’t believe in dividing Bengal and Bihar,” she said.
Coaches of two trains were set ablaze and the Khusrupur station ransacked by a mob Monday to protest the East Central Railway’s decision to not halt any express train at the station.
Police said hundreds of people set fire to three coaches of the Danapur-Jainagar Intercity Express and one bogie of Rajgir Danapur Express in Khusrupur, about 35 km from here. However, no casualty was reported.
The protesters also uprooted rail tracks, disrupting traffic on the Patna-Mokama route.
A East Central Railway spokesperson said a decision to resume train services to Khusrupur has been taken in view of the violent protest.
- Trains torched in Bihar - Jun 01, 2009
- Train coaches torched in Bihar, Mamata orders probe (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2009
- Train coaches torched in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Three trains set on fire, railway station ransacked in Bihar - Jun 01, 2009
- Ten train passengers found drugged, robbed - Jan 09, 2012
- Rail official killed in Bihar - Aug 08, 2012
- Armed robbers loot handicapped in Bihar train - Sep 06, 2009
- Strike evokes a near total response in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Goods train derails in Bihar; no casualties - Jul 13, 2012
- Train, road services hit during Bihar strike (Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Maoist blow up railway track in West Bengal - Apr 27, 2010
- 16 killed in train-vehicle collision in Bihar - May 23, 2011
- Three dead as Doon Express derails, Mamata hints at sabotage (Third Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Maoists attack on railway property doubled in 2009: Mamata Banerjee - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: bengal, bogie, casualty, central railway, express train, express trains, intercity express, mamata banerjee, media persons, mob, patna district, protesters, railway station, railways, spokesperson, traffic, train services, two trains, violent protest