Mamata lays foundation stone for Rabindra MuseumAugust 8th, 2010 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 8 (IANS) Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Sunday laid the foundation stone of a Rabindra Museum near Howrah station in West Bengal.
“Rabindra Museum will display the entire educational aspects of the great poet and Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. His works including poems, paintings will be exhibited in the museum,” she said, adding the museum will come up at an estimated cost of Rs.32 lakh.
“An auditorium with a capacity of 500 seats will be constructed within the museum and a research academy for culture will be set up there,” she said.
“The research academy would provide better opportunity to the scholars working on Tagore in continuing their research work,” Banerjee added.
The railway minister further said that the Rabindra Museum will be modelled according to the structure of Tagore’s house in Jorasanko in the city.
“The project announced in railway budget has already been sanctioned by the finance ministry and it will come up very soon. Besides Rabindra Museum, another museum showcasing the works and aspects of the great poet will come up at Bolpur station near Santiniketan in Birbhum district shortly,” Mamata said.
The museum at Bolpur will be christened ‘Geetanjali’.
While addressing in the foundation stone laying programme, the railway minister also announced that at least 75 pairs of Puja special trains will be run by the railways this year to meet the demand.
- Bengal pays tributes to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Bengal pays homage to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs - Aug 08, 2011
- Railways to set up museums to commemorate Tagore - Feb 24, 2010
- Railways will commemorate Tagore with museums and trains (Lead) - Feb 24, 2010
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Tagore's 150th birth anniversary celebrations begin (Lead) - May 09, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- Bangladesh presents Tagore memorabilia to Bengal universities - Sep 12, 2012
- Railway Cultural and Heritage Promotion Board to be set up - Feb 24, 2010
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- Lata ushers in Tagore anniversary tribute - Aug 07, 2011
- Sanskriti Express flagged off from Howrah - May 09, 2010
- Highlights of Railway budget 2010-11 (Part-III) - Feb 24, 2010
- Special train to Dhaka for Tagore anniversary celebrations - Jul 15, 2010
- Tagore memorabilia to get new home in Santiniketan - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: educational aspects, finance ministry, foundation stone, kolkata, mamata banerjee, nobel laureate, paintings, pairs, poems, poet, rabindra, rabindranath tagore, railway budget, railway minister, railways, research academy, santiniketan, trains, west bengal