Mamata flags off Kolkata-Singapore flightAugust 1st, 2011 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 1 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday inaugurated the Singapore Airlines’ subsidiary Silk Air’s four day a week service connecting Kolkata with Singapore. She said the service will also boost trade.
“It will boost ties between both countries. The people of Bengal will be benefited, so will be the people of Singapore. The new service will help tourism to flourish. This will also help business to grow on both sides,” said Banerjee at the inaugural ceremony.
Banerjee dedicated the service in honour of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
“Our ties with Singapore are not new. Netaji worked closely with the Singapore government during the freedom struggle. I dedicated today’s programme in his honour. The service will help in strengthening cultural ties between the countries as well as Bengal.”
Silk Air will operate four flights a week from Kolkata to the city-state: on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Singapore Airlines operates three flights from the city on the three other days of the week. With Silk Air’s flights, Kolkata will have a flight daily to Singapore.
- Silk Air to operate four flights from Kolkata - Jun 09, 2011
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- Mamata wishes Netaji a long life - Jan 23, 2012
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
- Mamata lets Left garland Netaji statue first - Jan 23, 2012
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Six international airlines keen to fly from Kolkata - Dec 26, 2011
- Hillary Clinton arrives in Kolkata (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Air France becomes first European airline to offer flights to Cambodia - Mar 31, 2011
- Some of Mamata's policies identical to Left's: Forward Bloc - Jan 19, 2012
- Four Air India flights from Kolkata cancelled - Apr 29, 2011
- Eight flights cancelled in Kolkata - Apr 28, 2011
- Hillary meets trafficking victims, visits Victorial Memorial (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
- Wheels of Kolkata Metro turn towards massive expansion - Jun 19, 2011
- Private airlines not keen to operate in northeast: NEC - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: chief minister, days of the week, flags, flights, freedom struggle, honour, inaugural ceremony, mamata banerjee, monday tuesday, netaji, silk air, singapore airlines, singapore flight, singapore government, subhas chandra, subsidiary, ties, tourism, west bengal