Mamata Banerjee opposes FDI in retail, insurance and aviationAugust 23rd, 2012 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Thursday reiterated her objection to overseas investment in multi-brand retail, insurance and aviation sector.
“We are not in favour of retail FDI and all this (FDI in insurance and aviation),” the West Bengal chief minister told reporters here after meeting Finance Minister P. Chidambaram.
Trinamool is the second largest constituent of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) with 19 members in the Lok Sabha.
Banerjee said overseas investment would hurt the interest of common people and her party would oppose any such move.
“In our election manifesto what we raised, we will stick to it … Other countries all over world are also saying if they allow FDI in retail market, then workers will die. So we are not in favour of it,” she said.
“We are not in favour of FDI in aviation also.”
In a bid to push for financial sector reform, Chidambaram Wednesday cleared a proposal to raise foreign direct investment (FDI) limit in insurance and pension sectors to 49 percent from the current 26 percent.
The government early this year suspended the implementation of a decision to allow FDI in mult-brand retail following protests from Trinamool, the Bharatiya Janata Party and Left.
- Trinamool to continue opposition to FDI in retail - Aug 10, 2012
- Don't roll back reform measures: FICCI - Sep 19, 2012
- Don't roll back reforms under pressure: India Inc (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Ally Trinamool joins BJP, Left in opposing FDI in retail - Nov 24, 2011
- FDI will help create 1 crore new jobs in retail: Government - Sep 21, 2012
- India allows FDI in multi-brand retail - Sep 14, 2012
- Amit Mitra shifts stand on FDI in retail - Nov 28, 2011
- Trinamool to continue opposition to reform legislations - Jul 20, 2012
- Gogoi urges PM to implement FDI in retail sector - Jun 07, 2012
- Gogoi bats for FDI in multi-brand retail sector - Jun 09, 2012
- No rollback of diesel price hike, FDI in retail: Chidambaram - Sep 17, 2012
- Roll back FDI decision or get parliament nod, demands BJP - Nov 29, 2011
- No reversing decision on FDI in multi-brand retail: Sharma - Jul 27, 2012
- States have prerogative not to allow FDI in multi-brand retail: Government - Sep 18, 2012
- Anand Sharma writes to parties clarifying FDI stance - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: aviation sector, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, common people, election manifesto, favour, finance minister, financial sector reform, foreign direct investment, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, objection, overseas investment, p chidambaram, progressive alliance, retail insurance, retail market, trinamool congress chief, UPA, west bengal