Mamata-Antony meeting on important Bengal projectsAugust 18th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 18 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony had an 80-minute meeting Saturday with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on issues like Ganges riverfront beautification, a metro project and a drinking water scheme where army land is involved.
“We discussed the Ganges riverfront beautification project, Joka-BBD Bag Metro project in Kolkata and Balason water supply project in Darjeeling,” Banerjee told media persons after the meeting at the state secretariat, Writers’ Buildings, here.
Banerjee’s pet project of Riverfront Beautification Project along the Ganga on the lines of Thames riverfront in London, has been stalled due to objections raised by the army which owns the land.
Army consent was also needed on certain stretches of the Joka-BBD Bag Metro project route.
The state public health engineering department has already completed two reservoirs as part of the Rs.56 crore Balason project to supply water to Darjeeling town.
However, with the army having a camp at Jalapahar, its permission was needed to lay the pipeline between Senchal lake and Rockville for distributing the water in the Darjeeling municipal areas.
There was also speculation that Anthony discussed the issue of FDI in retail with Banerjee, but the chief minister was tightlipped on it.
“The meeting went on very well. That’s why it continued for 80 minutes,” said Railway Minister Mukul Roy, who was present during the talks.
- Kolkata Metro becomes railway zone, gets more powers - Dec 30, 2010
- President Patil to lay foundation of new Kolkata Metro - Sep 22, 2010
- Mamata inaugrates Ganges riverfront project - May 25, 2012
- Metro rail is an effective system of transport: President Patil - Sep 22, 2010
- President arrives in Kolkata - Sep 21, 2010
- Mamata keeps Buddhadeb away from Metro project function - Sep 22, 2010
- Kolkata's hub declared hoarding free zone - Jul 05, 2011
- Mamata kick-starts Kolkata's 'London makeover' (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Wheels of Kolkata Metro turn towards massive expansion - Jun 19, 2011
- Kolkata Metro to name stations after Rafi, Kishore - Sep 22, 2010
- President arrives before time, inspires Mamata - Sep 22, 2010
- India needs better urban planning: President (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Mamata's sops to 'turn Darjeeling into Switzerland' - Oct 11, 2011
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- President calls for urban planning focus on mass transport - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: chief minister, defence minister, engineering department, fdi in retail, ganga, ganges, land army, mamata banerjee, media persons, metro project, mukul, municipal areas, pet project, public health engineering, railway minister, state public health, state secretariat, water scheme, water supply project, west bengal