Mamata announces special trains for Ajmer Sharif, PuriJune 14th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Howrah (West Bengal), June 14 (IANS) The Indian Railways will run 66 pairs of special trains carrying pilgrims to Puri in Orissa for the June 24 Rathyatra festival, railways minister Mamata Banerjee said here Sunday.
The railways will also run special trains between Sealdah in Kolkata and Rajasthan’s Ajmer Sharif, which houses the mausoleum of sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti, on June 25 and June 26 for the celebration of the Urs or annual pilgrimage.
“People are greatly inconvenienced as they do not get railway reservation for visiting these places on such occasions. The trains to Ajmer Sharif will benefit both Indians and Bangladeshis who want to go for pilgrimage at this time of the year,” Banerjee said at a function in Howrah station.
Millions of devotees gather in the temple town of Puri for the weeklong rathyatra or the annual chariot festival.
- Special train from Howrah to Ajmer train for Urs - May 28, 2011
- Special trains for Ajmer Sharif pilgrims - Jun 13, 2010
- Camp opens for Ajmer Sharif pilgrims - Jun 08, 2010
- Tight security measures ahead of Urs fair in Ajmer - Jun 12, 2010
- Ajmer Sharif pilgrims urged to pray for success of CWG - Jun 08, 2010
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Khar to visit Ajmer Thursday - Jul 27, 2011
- Delhi sets up transit camp for Urs pilgrims - May 28, 2011
- Zardari donation will be for 'noble causes': Ajmer dargah (With Image) - Apr 09, 2012
- Zardari arrives in Ajmer, heads for dargah - Apr 08, 2012
- Special trains for Rath Yatra in Orissa - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: ajmer sharif, chariot, chisti, devotees, howrah, indian railways, june 14, june 24, kolkata, mamata banerjee, mausoleum, orissa, pilgrimage, pilgrims, railway reservation, rajasthan, rathyatra, sufi saint, temple town, west bengal