Malaysian chopper foils pirate attack on Indian tankerJanuary 1st, 2009 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 1 (DPA) A Malaysian helicopter Thursday foiled an attempt by a group of armed pirates to board an Indian oil tanker in the troubled Gulf of Aden off Somalia’s coast.In the year’s first reported pirate attack, armed bandits in two speedboats approached the Indian-managed tanker around 9 a.m. and began firing machine-guns, said Noel Choong, head of the anti-piracy International Maritime Bureau (IMB) reporting centre in Kuala Lumpur.
The pirates made several attempts to board the ship when Malaysian helicopter Fennec responded to the captain’s emergency call and headed for the troubled vessel, he said.
The arrival of the chopper prompted the pirates, who were dressed in military-style uniforms, to flee the scene, said Choong.
While none of the crew members was injured, the oil tanker sustained damage from the gunfire.
Choong said the incident brings the total number of pirate attacks in Somali waters to 112, with 42 vessels having been hijacked.
A total of 14 ships remain held by pirates, while over 214 crew members are being held hostage, he said.
The Gulf of Aden, one of the world’s busiest waterways, remains a hotspot for pirate activities despite increased calls for joint security patrols in the troubled waters.
- Malaysia rescues hijacked tanker - Oct 29, 2011
- German Navy foils pirate attack on Egyptian ship - Dec 25, 2008
- 23 Indians hostage in ship hijacked by pirates in Nigeria - Sep 05, 2012
- Somali pirates face gallows in Malaysia - Feb 13, 2011
- 23 Indians on ship hijacked in Nigeria by pirates (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 23 Indians on ship hijacked by pirates off Nigeria safe (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Iranian Navy rescues supertanker from Somali pirates - Apr 23, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Pirates free Russian tanker crew after stealing petrol - Aug 31, 2012
- Somali pirates seize cargo ship with 18 crew - Sep 09, 2010
- Pirates target two tankers near Kerala coastline - Jun 19, 2011
- Iranian navy saves US vessel from pirates - May 24, 2012