Malaysia begins national censusJuly 7th, 2010 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, July 7 (IANS) Multi-ethnic Malaysia, which has a significant population of people of Indian origin, began its fifth national head count Wednesday.
It was preceded Tuesday night with enumerators making a special effort to seek out homeless people in several cities.
From July 6 to Aug 22, 29,000 enumerators will visit an estimated 7.5 million homes to collect data vital for the planning and implementation of government policies.
Malaysia has an estimated population of 2.7 million.
It has 60 percent majority Malays followed by 26 percent ethnic Chinese and 7.9 percent ethnic Indians, a bulk of them Tamils settled during the British era.
Among the Indians, there are also 100,000 Sikhs/Punjabis and settlers from Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and a sprinkling of people from Gujarat and northern India.
- 6.7 percent ethnic Indians in Malaysia - Dec 23, 2011
- Illegitimate births rise among Malay Indians - Mar 21, 2011
- Find ways to increase population, Indians urged in Malaysia - Jul 06, 2010
- Malaysian Indian party seeks to join ruling coalition - Sep 03, 2010
- Tamils, Punjabis celebrate festivals in Malaysia - Apr 14, 2011
- More Chinese than Indians in Malaysia's civil services - Aug 27, 2010
- Few non-Malays in Malaysian armed forces - Nov 09, 2010
- Malaysia to resolve ethnic Indians' citizenship issues - Dec 31, 2010
- Malaysia can handle its ethnic issue, says PM - Oct 27, 2010
- Malaysian PM says he is touched by spirit of Sikhs - May 03, 2011
- Be mindful of what you say: Malaysian PM - Sep 06, 2010
- Multi-cultural Malaysia can handle ethnic issues: PM (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Ethnic Indians among candidates for Malaysian poll - Jan 25, 2011
- Child marriage common among Indian workers - Jul 18, 2010
- Malaysia party appeals to Indian PM to highlight discrimination against Indian minorities - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: 5 million, andhra pradesh, enumerators, government policies, gujarat, homeless people, implementation, indian origin, indians, kuala lumpur, malays, national census, northern india, population, punjabis, settlers, sikhs, special effort, sprinkling, tuesday night