Major railway stations should have medical facilities: CourtJuly 30th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Delhi High Court Wednesday directed railway authorities to provide basic medical facilities at the capital’s major stations and also to make them disabled-friendly. Expressing concern over the lack of medical facilities at railway stations, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar appointed a three-member committee to visit stations and submit a detailed report within two weeks.
The court directed the railway authorities to deploy at least one doctor round-the- clock at all major stations.
The committee will comprise a doctor, a lawyer and a senior railway official.
The bench was hearing a public interest petition filed by advocate Purnima Sethi, seeking a direction to railway authorities as there were no medical facilities and ambulance services at the Nizamuddin railway station.
Sethi submitted before the court that the stations are not even disabled-friendly. There is no lift and no wheel chair available for the physically-challenged, she said.
The bench fixed Sep 3 as the date to look into the committee’s report.
- Schools seek government aid for educating disabled - Jan 30, 2012
- Court summons MCD chief over zoo flooding threat - Jul 13, 2011
- China aims for disabled-friendly environment - Jul 11, 2012
- Man killed while trying to board moving train - Nov 17, 2011
- Details sought of medical reimbursements to cabinet ministers, bureaucrats - Mar 29, 2012
- Court orders medical check of Nitish Katara killers (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Court comes down hard on Himachal government - Aug 15, 2011
- 2G scam: Asif Balwa's request for iPad refused (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Apex court norms to decide fate of terminally-ill patients - Mar 07, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- Judge speaks to AMRI Hospital fire accused in ambulance - Dec 19, 2011
- Justice Bedi to monitor Gujarat 'encounters' probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- 2G case: Morani's interim bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Banned pesticides: Court wants report by Aug 17 - May 01, 2012
- Court puts off decision on temporary night shelters - Jul 20, 2011