Major power outage in northern India; trains haltedMarch 7th, 2008 - 12:31 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) A major snag in the northern power grid early Friday led to large-scale power outage in and around the Indian capital for about six hours, halting trains on their tracks and forcing some power stations to shut down. Northern Railway said 25 trains had been delayed in a big way, including Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains to and from various cities.
National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) officials said they had been forced to halt operations for a while at three of its plants here, in Uttar Pradesh and in Haryana.
A spokesman for the Northern Regional Load Dispatch Centre (NRLDC) of the Power Grid Corporation said 50 lines of 400 kv in Delhi, western Uttar Pradesh and Haryana tripped at about 3 a.m. The system was restored at about 9 a.m., he added.
“Due to the grid problem, the NTPC’s plants at Dadri (Uttar Pradesh), Faridabad (Haryana) and Badarpur (Delhi) stopped working for a short while but have now resumed operation,” NTPC spokesman T.S. Rajput told IANS.
A Northern Railway spokesman said: “The problem began at 2 a.m. with intermittent power failure being reported from the northern grid. The situation worsened by 6.30 a.m.
“Most of the Delhi bound Rajdhani trains were delayed by several hours. Although the Shatabdi trains left Delhi on time, many were stuck en route,” said Rajeev Saxena, chief public relations officer of Northern Railways.
The Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi was stuck on the tracks near Faridabad in Haryana for over two hours.
“Some of the trains have been diverted and we are constantly in touch with the Power Grid Corporation.”
- UP comes to a grinding halt due to power failure - Jul 31, 2012
- Power failure cripples railways; 500 trains, 1.5 lakh passengers hit - Jul 30, 2012
- Power supply partially restored in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 14-hour power failure hit NCR towns - Jul 30, 2012
- Power supply hit in north India - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana asks centre to probe grid failure - Aug 01, 2012
- Power crisis: Centre, states in blame game (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 19 states, 600 million people hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- BJP activists stop trains in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 03, 2012
- Bomb hoax delays Delhi-bound Rajdhani in Goa (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Harried Shatabdi passengers reach seven hours late - Oct 28, 2011
- Northern India blacked out by snag in power grid - Mar 07, 2008
Tags: bhopal, dispatch centre, faridabad, kv, New Delhi, northern grid, northern india, northern railway, northern railways, nrldc, power failure, power grid, power outage, rajdhntpc, rajput, shatabdi, six hours, snag, spokesman