Main runway of Mumbai international airport shut till JulyNovember 1st, 2010 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 1 (IANS) The main runway of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) was shut down Monday for upgradation work. The width of the runway is being increased to accomodate Airbus A380 aircraft.
Despite the shutdown, the airport saw minimal delays. The main runway has shut down for maintenance work till July, officials said.
“The average delay was not more than 15 minutes. The secondary runway, however, continued operations,” an airport official said.
The main runway (0927), shut from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., will start functioning fully in July 2011.
The upgrade is part of the overall modernisation process of CSIA. The width of the runway will be increased from the current 45 metres to 60 metres, to accommodate Airbus A380 aircrafts.
CSIA has two runways crossing each other at an intersection. The last time the runway got a makeover was in 2003.
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- No more terrible Tuesdays at Mumbai airport - Mar 23, 2010
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- New taxiway at Mumbai airport - Jul 05, 2012
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Mumbai airport shuts down for five hours - Apr 30, 2011
- Mumbai airport runways re-open after being shut for five hours - Apr 23, 2011
- Spicejet flight makes emergency landing - Sep 03, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai Airport to close for reconstruction work - Feb 25, 2012
- Mumbai airport reopened after five-hour closure for repairs - Apr 23, 2011
- Mumbai airport will be closed for six hours every Tuesday - Oct 27, 2009
- Mumbai airport ranked third for 'service quality' - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, a380 aircraft, airbus a380, aircrafts, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, csia, intersection, last time, maintenance work, makeover, minimal delays, nov 1, runways, secondary runway