Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till MayJanuary 20th, 2012 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 20 (IANS) The main runway of the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport here will be shut for eight hours every day from Friday till May 20 for construction of a rapid-exit taxiway, officials said.
According to airport officials, the Mumbai International Airport Pvt Ltd (MIAL) is closing the airport’s runway during the non-peak hours between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. for the taxiway which will help reduce the runway occupancy time of an aircraft, facilitating smooth exits.
A secondary runway will be operational during this time. According to airport officials, the secondary runway cannot accommodate the same air traffic as the main runway.
Meanwhile, flights at Mumbai airport were again delayed Friday due to heavy fog in Delhi, but no flights were cancelled.
Most departures and arrivals were delayed by 40-50 minutes in the morning. Flyers, particularly those taking morning flights to and from Delhi, are likely to face fog delays even in the coming days.
- New taxiway at Mumbai airport - Jul 05, 2012
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport runways re-open after being shut for five hours - Apr 23, 2011
- Mumbai Airport to close for reconstruction work - Feb 25, 2012
- Mumbai airport reopened after five-hour closure for repairs - Apr 23, 2011
- Mumbai airport shuts down for five hours - Apr 30, 2011
- High aircraft parking charges at Mumbai flayed - Jul 13, 2012
- Spicejet flight makes emergency landing - Sep 03, 2011
- No more terrible Tuesdays at Mumbai airport - Mar 23, 2010
- 25 hurt as Jet flight evacuated, no trace of fire - Aug 28, 2010
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Snag grounds Jetlite flight - May 02, 2012
Tags: air traffic, airport officials, airport runway, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, departures and arrivals, eight hours, flyers, fog delays, mial, morning flights, mumbai airport, peak hours, pvt ltd, rapid exit, secondary runway