Mahindra’s workers resume work at Igatpuri plantMay 19th, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Auto major Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) Tuesday said its employees have withdrawn their tools-down strike at its plant near Maharashtra’s Nashik town.
The workers went on strike demanding pay revision and reinstatement of a sacked labour leader.
“Following the withdrawal of this strike, production has resumed in the Nashik plant of the company and normalcy restored,” the company said in a regulatory statement Tuesday.
M&M said the strike was withdrawn Monday following a wage agreement signed with workers May 15.
The pact, which is valid for three and a half years, was signed by the Bhartiya Kamgar Sena Union that represents Mahindra’s workers at its Igatpuri plant near Nashik.
Earlier in the month, the labour union had decided to move the Mumbai High Court following an order from the Nashik Labour Court to withdraw its strike, which it termed as “illegal”.
Workers at Igatpuri had gone on an indefinite tools-down strike from May 4 in protest against the suspension of labour leader Madhav Dhatrak and the company’s alleged delay in signing the salary agreement for the past 22 months.
Mahindra manufactures utility vehicles Xylo, Scorpio and Bolero at the Igatpuri plant, apart from the sedan Logan in joint venture with the French car maker Renault.
The plant has 4,450 employees, of whom 2,750 are permanent, 1,200 are temporary and 500 are apprentices.
- Mahindra signs wage agreement with Nashik plant workers - May 15, 2009
- Talks to start Monday to resolve Maruti strike - Oct 15, 2011
- Brief tools-down at Maruti's plant, no production loss - Jul 28, 2011
- Maruti production halted, workers leave Manesar plant - Oct 14, 2011
- Mahindra to launch SsangYong SUVs by next year - Sep 05, 2011
- Bosch lifts lockout following truce with labour (Lead) - Mar 13, 2010
- Labour strike forces Bosch shut Bangalore plant - Sep 30, 2011
- Bosch defers lockout at main plant, wage talks on - Mar 12, 2010
- Advanced Bolero to attract more buyers - Sep 09, 2011
- Telangana employees call off 42-day-old strike - Oct 25, 2011
- Mahindra sales up 16.6 percent - May 01, 2009
- Dunlop India suspends operations at Chennai plant - Feb 22, 2012
- M&M; mulls Rs.4,000 crore investment in Tamil Nadu - Jun 01, 2012
- Striking GM workers in Gujarat resume work - May 05, 2011
- Keshub Mahindra to retire Aug 8 - May 30, 2012
Tags: apprentices, bolero, french car maker, half years, illegal workers, joint venture, labour court, labour leader, labour union, logan, maharashtra, mahindra, mumbai high court, nashik, normalcy, pact, reinstatement, salary, scorpio, utility vehicles