Mahindra launches hydrogen-powered three-wheelerJanuary 9th, 2012 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 9 (IANS) Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M;) Monday launched the world’s first hydrogen-fuel-run three-wheeler HyAlfa that will ply in Delhi soon.
“As part of its mobility initiatives, Mahindra has aimed at providing alternative fuel technology solutions and the HyAlfa is another step towards it,” said Pawan Goenka, president of the company’s automotive and farm equipment sectors.
The company did not divulge the price of the vehicle which was unveiled at the Auto Expo here.
According to Goenka, a fleet of 15 vehicles have been manufactured. “We have prepared 15 vehicles for integration of the optimised engine, storage system, fuelling system and safety features for this hydrogen-fuel-enabled vehicle.”
The vehicles will be refuelled at a station set up by US-based Air Products located at Pragati Maidan, where the fleet will operate.
The hydrogen-powered rickshaws and the refuelling station have been established under a project that aims to produce vehicles that would carry and use hydrogen, a carbon-free fuel, thereby reducing pollution.
Goenka added, that the company is currently developing a host of vehicles that can run on alternate-technologies such as electric, hybrid and fuel cells.
“We are already working on integrating a comprehensive eco-system of sustainable mobility solutions, encompassing alternative technologies such as electric, hybrid and fuel cells into our research, development and commercialization plans.”
The vehicle has costed $1 million in development over a span of three years, with half the expenditure being co-funded by the UNIDO and International Centre for Hydrogen Energy Technologies (UNIDO-ICHET) based in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Mahindra Group unveils electric car - Jan 07, 2012
- Mahindra forays into electric cars with majority stake in Reva (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Breakthrough could help hydrogen replace petrol as fuel - Apr 01, 2011
- Robotic jellyfish invented - Mar 21, 2012
- Auto firms bullish on electric vehicles after government plan - Sep 06, 2012
- Air hybrid vehicles could halve fuel consumption in future - Feb 08, 2011
- Working model of hydrogen-run lorry demonstrated - Nov 10, 2011
- Government planning mechanism for low-emission vehicles - Sep 25, 2010
- Olympic taxis to fill up in Swindon - Aug 01, 2012
- Mahindra and Mahindra acquires electric car maker REVA - May 26, 2010
- Toyota Has Grand Plans For Hybrid Models - Aug 27, 2010
- M&M; research centre inaugurated - Apr 12, 2012
- Auto industry moving towards green and mass mobility vehicles - Aug 25, 2010
- Government approves plan to promote hybrid vehicles - Aug 29, 2012
- BAE bags $91 mn order to supply Hawk spares - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: alternate technologies, alternative fuel, alternative technologies, auto expo, eco system, energy technologies, free fuel, fuel cells, fuel technology, hydrogen energy, hydrogen fuel, istanbul turkey, mahindra and mahindra, maidan, mobility solutions, rickshaws, s automotive, storage system, sustainable mobility, three wheeler