Mahindra and Mahindra acquires electric car maker REVAMay 26th, 2010 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore/Mumbai, May 26 (IANS) Automobile major Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) Wednesday announced it has taken 55.2 percent stake in electric car-maker REVA through a combination of equity purchase and fresh capital infusion of Rs.45 crore ($10 million).
Post acquisition, the Bangalore-based REVA will be renamed Mahindra REVA, spokespersons of both the companies told reporters here.
M&M’s automotive sector president Pawan Goenka will be nominated as the new entity’s chairman.
Reva promoter Chetan Maini will stay on with the company as its technology and strategy chief. He will also be a member of the board.
“The new board includes five nominees from Mahindra and Mahindra, two from the Maini family, and one from AEV LLC, California (co-founders of REVA,” said M&M in a regulatory filing.
REVA currently sells its electric car in 24 countries and has sold about 3,500 vehicles globally till date.
M&M has been working on developing vehicles using greener fuels and has an electric variant of its three-wheeler commercial vehicle “Bijlee”. It is also working on rolling out the electric version of its mini-truck Maxximo.
“This is a key strategic acquisition for Mahindra. With Mahindra’s vehicle engineering expertise, global distribution network, sourcing clout and financial support, REVA’s vehicles have the potential to significantly gain in market penetration,” said Goenka.
The M&M scrip was up 1.91 percent at Rs.526, around noon. It earlier rose to an intra-day high of Rs.538.55.
- Mahindra forays into electric cars with majority stake in Reva (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Auto firms bullish on electric vehicles after government plan - Sep 06, 2012
- Electric car REVAi to be marketed in Pune - Dec 11, 2010
- Mahindra may delay XUV500 export to meet local demand - Oct 08, 2011
- Mahindra to launch more new vehicles next fiscal - Jan 10, 2012
- Mahindra's mini-truck forays into southern market - Jul 15, 2010
- Spark goes out of General Motors India's deal with Reva - May 26, 2010
- Mahindra launches hydrogen-powered three-wheeler - Jan 09, 2012
- Mahindra Group unveils electric car - Jan 07, 2012
- M&M plans passenger variant with mini-truck Maxximo - Sep 02, 2010
- M&M; launches mini van in Andhra Pradesh - May 11, 2011
- M&M; mulls Rs.4,000 crore investment in Tamil Nadu - Jun 01, 2012
- Mahindra to sell 120,000 SsangYong cars globally this year - Jun 22, 2011
- Reva to roll out two new electric cars soon - Sep 30, 2009
- Mahindra launches mini-truck - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: 10 million, bangalore, capital infusion, car maker, clout, electric car, founders, global distribution network, mahindra and mahindra, market penetration, member of the board, mini truck, mumbai, percent stake, promoter, reva, scrip, spokespersons, three wheeler, vehicle engineering