Maharashtra to build 200,000 rental homesMarch 13th, 2010 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 12 (IANS) In a move that could benefit thousands of migrants entering Mumbai each year, 200,000 rental homes will be constructed in Thane and Raigad, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) announced here Friday.
“We have cleared a total of over 3.4 million square metres of land for the purpose and six developers have been granted permission for the construction,” said MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.
The rental homes - each measuring 160-square feet with attached facilities - will come up at Majiwade, Panchpakhadi, Chitalsar-Manpada and Naupada, Mahajanwadi and Shahad - all in Thane district.
The homes shall be available on an affordable rent of between Rs.800-1,500 per month.
The names of rental housing schemes proposed in Raigad have not yet been announced.
“The chief objective is to make available a stock of affordable housing in the Mumbai metropolitan area for those seeking financial security, especially the poor sections,” Gaikwad said.
MMRDA will construct or procure 500,000 self-contained units soon within the region in tune with the state housing policy.
He added that the rental housing scheme has been identified as a “vital public purpose” project under the slum prevention programme.
The government has stipulated certain eligibility criteria, including a minimum monthly family income of Rs.5,000 and continuous stay of 15 years in Maharashtra. Also, the allottee must not own any house in the MMRDA region and the allotment will be jointly with the spouse if the applicant is married.
- Flats for 43,000 low-income Mumbai families planned - Jun 02, 2009
- A move to decongest Mumbai: 133,00 flats in periphery - Jun 02, 2009
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Feasibility study for new Mumbai suburban rail corridors - Jan 13, 2012
- Chavan applies balm to angry realtors - May 02, 2012
- Central minister lauds Mumbai's rental housing scheme - Aug 31, 2008
- Metro Rail-I to be operational in Mumbai in 2012 - Sep 05, 2011
- India's second sea-bridge to come up in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2011
- Mumbai's urban tunnel to be ready by January 2013 - Aug 24, 2012
- Mumbai's MMRDA grounds set for Hazare fast - Dec 25, 2011
- Maharashtra largesse for slum-dwellers, house-seekers - Jan 03, 2012
- Team Anna moves court against steep ground charges - Dec 22, 2011
- Maharashtra takes step forward on Mumbai-Raigad sea bridge - Nov 24, 2011
- Elephanta Island to get electricity soon - May 13, 2010
- 'Structural failure of launching girder led to Mumbai bridge crash' - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: affordable housing, allotment, chief objective, eligibility criteria, financial security, housing scheme, housing schemes, metropolitan area, metropolitan region, migrants, mmrda, poor sections, prevention, public purpose, rs 800, self contained units, slum, square feet, square metres, thane