Maharashtra may review road toll policyAugust 10th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 10 (IANS) The Maharashtra government may carry out a review of the state’s road toll policy in the next fortnight.
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray disclosed this after a meeting with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Friday, in which he highlighted the problems faced by people daily.
“Chavan has assured us that he will review the entire policy of levying road toll in consultation with the Public Works Department. The MNS shall be invited for the discussions on the issue,” Thackeray told media persons.
Thackeray claimed that Chavan was in agreement with most of the points pertaining to toll levy raised by the MNS at the meeting.
The government, directly or through agents, collects toll for using various new roads, flyovers, bridges, including the Rajiv Gandhi Bandra-Worli Sea Link, and certain highways, including the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
Last month, the MNS launched a violent agitation all over the state opposing toll collection and even stopped the toll booths from operating in several parts, including Mumbai.
The MNS has contended that the toll levy should be rationalized and there should be a time-bound policy to recover the expenses incurred on the development of infrastructure.
Last month, both Chavan and Home Minister R.R. Patil had warned strict action against any person or group hindering the toll collection process.
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- A fit Bal Thackeray attacks PM, Sonia - Oct 06, 2011
- Raj warns against stalling flyover due to Lata's objection - Dec 06, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray spars with cousin Raj over flyover issue - Dec 07, 2011
- India's second sea-bridge to come up in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2011
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray attacks NCP leaders at rally - Jan 13, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj Thackeray backs FDI in retail, demands jobs only for locals - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: agitation, bandra worli sea link, bridges, chavan, chief minister, fortnight, highways, home minister, levy, maharashtra government, media persons, mns, mumbai pune expressway, new roads, rajiv gandhi, sena chief, strict action, thackeray, toll booths, worli