Maharashtra information commissioner’s removal hastenedJanuary 18th, 2011 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 18 (IANS) The process to remove defiant State Information Commissioner Ramanand Tiwari got a fillip with Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan Tuesday referring the matter to the Supreme Court, an official said.The governor has referred the case to the apex court under Right to Information Act, Section 17(1), said an official who declined to be identified.
“The next stage will be Tiwari’s suspension, which could happen as soon as the governor’s recommendation reaches the apex court,” the official explained. The suspension itself could take place in the next few days.
Tiwari, a former Indian Administrative Service officer, was asked to quit his post by the state government last month after his name came up for alleged involvement in the Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society scam.
Since Tiwari, who occupies a constitutional post, refused to resign claiming innocence in the case, the state cabinet initiated the process to remove him.
Among other things, he has been accused of withholding crucial information on the Adarsh society, in which many politicians and bureaucrats are members.
The scam has claimed the job of former chief minister Ashok Chavan after allegations surfaced of collusion between bureaucrats and politicians to corner flats in the society’s 31-storey building constructed on a prime plot measuring nearly 6,500 sq m in the posh Colaba area of south Mumbai.
- Maharashtra governor pushes information commissioner's removal (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Maharashtra information commissioner linked in Adarsh scam suspended (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Maha Governor makes reference to Supreme Court for Tiwari's suspension - Jan 18, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Maharashtra wants information commissioner to go (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Maharashtra wants information commissioner removed - Jan 11, 2011
- Maharashtra information commissioner suspended - Jan 20, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Maharashtra Governor suspends Information Commissioner Tiwari - Jan 20, 2011
- Adarsh Society scam: Ex-bureaucrat Tiwari to meet Maharashtra Governor - Jan 16, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Maharashtra information commissioner claims innocence - Jan 16, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Maharashtra information commissioner claims innocence (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Two bureaucrats remanded to CBI custody - Apr 04, 2012
- Maharashtra Cabinet recommends removal of Tiwari as Information Commissioner - Jan 11, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Information Commissioner Tiwari's leave application rejected - Jan 05, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Information Commissioner Tiwari goes on leave, won't quit - Jan 05, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Shinde summoned as witness - May 02, 2011
Tags: act section, administrative service officer, apex court, ashok, bureaucrats, chavan, chief minister, collusion, cooperative housing, fillip, housing society, indian administrative service, information commissioner, prime plot, ramanand, right to information act, sankaranarayanan, section 17, south mumbai, state cabinet