Maharashtra CM rushes Delhi to seek central aidMay 8th, 2012 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 7 (IANS) Alarmed by the foodgrain and water scarcity gripping the state at the height of summer, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Monday rushed to New Delhi seeking financial aid from the central government.
Accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising ministers, legislators, parliamentarians and officials, Chavan will call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday, an official source close to him said here.
Chavan’s trip comes barely 10 days after Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi toured some drought-hit areas of the state. Governor K. Sankaranarayanan had also on May 4 warned of serious crisis if the water shortage was not tackled on a war-footing.
“The chief minister will seek immediate central assistance of Rs.2281.37 crores and 500,000 tonnes foodgrains at subsidized rates to tide over the crises affecting the state,” the official told IANS.
The aid sought will be in accordance with central government norms governing those farmers who have suffered losses in kharif and rabi crops this year, including Rs.782.11 crore for the small farmers.
Besides, another Rs.73.60 crore will be demanded for compensating fruit cultivators who suffered loss of crops due to various factors, Rs.129.39 for water supply projects, Rs.300 crore for check dams and Rs.700 crore for pending medium irrigation projects around the state.
Drought-like situation and water crisis has gripped 6,201 villages spread in 15 districts across Northern, Westernand Central parts of the state during the current summer season, the official said.
This has created major problems of drinking water, irrigation and fodder, which the state hopes to solve with the central aid, he added.
- Punjab seeks Rs.5,112 crore package for drought - Aug 10, 2012
- Maharashtra faces drought-like situation - Aug 01, 2012
- States declare drought, not centre: Pawar - Aug 01, 2012
- Karnataka to give interest-free loans to farmers - Mar 21, 2012
- Centre seeks revised drought report from Karnataka - Aug 02, 2012
- Elusive monsoon: Punjab seeks Rs.800 crore from centre - Jul 22, 2012
- Seismic centre to come up at Satara - May 24, 2012
- Threat of water crisis in Maharashtra: Governor - May 04, 2012
- Nearly half of Karnataka drought-hit, says Gowda - Oct 07, 2011
- Karnataka draws action plan for drought-hit (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Inadequate rains, scarcity, worry Maharashtra legislators - Jul 11, 2012
- Haryana seeks Rs.4,050 crore from centre for drought relief - Aug 10, 2012
- Drought hit areas to get over Rs.800 crore: Pawar - Sep 12, 2012
- Yeddyurappa defends presenting farm budget - Feb 25, 2011
- Maharashtra drought: Governor's help sought - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: central assistance, chavan, check dams, crore, foodgrains, irrigation projects, kharif, level delegation, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rabi crops, rahul gandhi, sankaranarayanan, state drought, water crisis, water irrigation, water scarcity, water shortage, water supply projects