Maharashtra bans Bt cotton seedsAugust 9th, 2012 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 9 (IANS) The Maharashtra government has banned the sale and distribution of Bt cotton seeds by a US multinational giant in the state, a top official here said Thursday.
“The government has banned the Mahyco company with immediate effect,” Pune-based state Agriculture Commissioner Umakant Dangat told IANS.
The ban was effected by the Director of Inputs & Quality Control (DIQC), the licensing authority, on Mahyco Monsanto Biotech (MMB) late Wednesday. Mahyco is a Maharashtra-based partner of the Monsanto group.
MMB is a joint venture between Mahyco, Maharashtra, and Monsanto Holdings Pvt. Ltd., USA which has sub-licensed Bollgard II and Bollgard technologies to 28 Indian seed companies since 2005.
It follows a discussion in the Maharashtra legislative assembly last month and an assurance made by Agriculture Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil proposing a ban.
“It is a bold move by the agriculture minister (Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil) and proves the government has not succumbed to MNC pressures,” Vidarbha Jan Andola Samiti chief Kishore Tiwari told IANS from Yavatmal, eastern Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra farmers welcome Bt cotton ban - Jul 12, 2012
- Maharashtra bans Bt cotton seeds (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- 50 officers suspended, notice to 355 for graft - Mar 21, 2011
- Vidarbha legislator ends 7-day fast - Nov 20, 2011
- Monsanto to continue research on GM crops in India - Feb 10, 2010
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed - Mar 28, 2012
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion export ban to be reviewed - Sep 19, 2011
- Nashik onion markets to re-open Wednesday - Sep 20, 2011
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shirdi temple gets new trustees (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Maharashtra power regulator orders takeover of cooperative - Jan 27, 2011
- Legal action against Mahyco, Monsanto in Bt Brinjal case - Aug 11, 2011
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, amp, bold move, bt cotton, cotton seeds, giant, joint venture, kishore, legislative assembly, licensing authority, ltd usa, maharashtra government, mahyco monsanto, mnc, monsanto, pvt ltd, quality control, radhakrishna, seed companies, state agriculture commissioner