Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violenceJuly 23rd, 2012 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, July 23 (IANS) A ‘mahapanchayat’ of more than 70 villages Monday demanded a CBI probe into the violence at the Maruti-Suzuki factory in Manesar and said it supported the car company’s management.
The mahapanchayat also said that the formation of a Special Investigative Team for the case was not enough.
Presiding over the meeting in Dhana village, Rao Abhay Singh, a former Zila Parishad chief, said the crisis at the plant could be due to a conspiracy to push out Maruti from Gurgaon.
The sarpanches and numbardars said they supported the Maruti Suzuki management.
They said they would oppose any move by the trade union in the workers’ favour.
An executive committee of 28 members would be set up in a day or two, with two people each from Manesar, Kasan, Aliyar, Dhana, Khoh, Naharpur Nawada and Bans Kusla villages and one person each from 14 other villages.
The committee would then cooperate with the Maruti management, if asked.
The villagers accused the Haryana government of supporting the agitating workers.
Workers at the company’s Manesar plant Wednesday allegedly vandalised the control room and human resources section of the plant and set the sections on fire.
In the incident, Awanish Kumar Dev, a senior executive, died and around 100 employees, including two Japanese, were injured.
The police have so far arrested 97 people while 52 accused, including union leaders, are on the run.
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti crisis: Local village headmen see conspiracy - Jul 20, 2012
- Maruti employees offer prayers at Manesar plant - Aug 19, 2012
- Maruti management to blame for crisis: AITUC - Jul 27, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki to resume operations at Manesar soon - Aug 14, 2012
- Trade unions demand end of Maruti lockout, CBI probe - Aug 04, 2012
- Maruti's Manesar plant incident was a criminal act: Suzuki - Aug 23, 2012
- Trade unions to march in support of Maruti workers - Aug 16, 2012
- Honda strike anniversary: Curbs on protests in Manesar - Jul 24, 2012
- Haryana to post police battalion in Manesar - Aug 01, 2012
- Maruti to decide on restarting Manesar plant - Aug 12, 2012
- Maruti not shifting from Haryana, Bhargava assures Hooda - Jul 23, 2012
- Agitating workers asked to vacate Maruti premises - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: abhay, car company, cbi probe, conspiracy, executive committee, favour, haryana government, human resources section, investigative team, kasan, khoh, manesar, maruti suzuki, nawada, suzuki, union leaders, violence, zila parishad