Mahanagar Telephone Nigam workers call off strikeMay 20th, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) Some 8,000 employees of the state-run Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL), which runs telecom and Internet services in the country’s two main metros, called off their agitation Wednesday after the management agreed to review their demands including wage hikes.
“The strike has been called off. There will be a meeting of trade unions and the management some time later. All issues will be discussed constructively,” MTNL chairman and managing director R.S.P. Sinha told IANS.
The striking employees were primarily demanding payment of salary according to the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations.
“The demand of the employees to pay salaries according to the Sixth Pay Commission has been put on hold. We will sort it out amicably,” Sinha said.
“All the cables that were cut have been repaired and all the MTNL lines are working,” he added.
At the onset of the strike, telephone and Internet lines were damaged, allegedly by the protesters, a charge that has been denied by MTNL’s Telecom Executives Association general secretary A.K. Kaushik.
Landline phones went dead in many parts of the city Monday and Internet services were down, severely affecting operations at many places including the Indira Gandhi International Airport, prompting the MTNL management to file a criminal complaint.
- Telephone workers strike called off in Delhi, Mumbai (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- MTNL workers' strike hits services for second day - May 19, 2009
- CWG scam: CBI files case against four MTNL officials - Jun 08, 2011
- MTNL launches per second billing plan - Dec 01, 2009
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- MTNL inks pact with Welingkar to train talent for telecom industry - Sep 07, 2012
- BSNL staff call off strike on government assurance (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- BSNL workers on strike against divestment - Apr 20, 2010
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
- CBI files graft cases against two MTNL officials - Aug 12, 2010
- MTNL, BSNL in talks to synergise services - May 18, 2011
- Broadband auction winners to pay up license fee by June 22 - Jun 12, 2010
- Court pulls up vigilance commission on MTNL chief's extension - Nov 30, 2009
- MTNL to provide online broadband security - May 25, 2010
Tags: agitation, commission recommendations, criminal complaint, executives association, general secretary, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, internet lines, internet services, kaushik, landline phones, managing director, metros, mtnl, New Delhi, protesters, sinha, striking employees, telecom executives, trade unions