Madhya Pradesh bags best tourism awardFebruary 29th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 29 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh has bagged the best state award at the National Tourism Awards presented by President Pratibha Patil in the capital Wednesday.
While Madhya Pradesh was followed by Rajasthan. Sikkim won in the category of Jammu & Kashmir and northeast.
Hyderabad won the award for best heritage city while Delhi Tourism & Transportation Development Corporation Ltd won it for running the best heritage walk.
Giving away the awards, Patil said: “The World Travel and Tourism Council has ranked India as a tourism hot-spot, with a very high growth possibility in the coming years.”
“At the same time, it is good that efforts are underway in India, to increase its share of world tourist arrivals to 1 percent by the end of the Twelfth Five Year Plan, from the present level of 0.6 percent. To achieve the targets, naturally a multi-pronged approach would be necessary, to ensure that the experience of the tourist is pleasant, hassle-free and an enriching one,” she said.
National tourism awards are presented every year by tourism ministry to various segments of the travel and tourism industry in recognition of their respective fields.
The ministry this year has introduced three new categories of awards - “The Best State: Campaign Clean India”, “Best Heritage City” and “Best Heritage Walk”.
- President to present national tourism awards - Feb 27, 2012
- Hyderabad international airport bags award - Feb 29, 2012
- Clean India Campaign to kick off from Qutab Minar - Jun 18, 2012
- 'Focus on social media to get more tourists' - Oct 22, 2011
- Kerala tourism goes hitech - Jul 09, 2012
- Kerala pavilion wins award at London travel mart - Nov 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka revises tourism target to 1 million - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian travellers are spoilt for choice - May 26, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh in Berlin tourism exhibition - Mar 08, 2012
- India bags international tourism awards - Sep 17, 2010
- Kerala Tourism sweeps PATA travel awards - Feb 04, 2011
- Soon, Goa tourist hubs on your mobile phone - Jun 23, 2011
- Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year running - Feb 18, 2012
- Affordable rooms, better infrastructure will boost tourism: FICCI - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian tourism upbeat despite tight budget (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: corporation ltd, delhi tourism, feb 29, heritage city, heritage walk, jammu, national tourism, president pratibha patil, pronged approach, sikkim, state campaign, tourism award, tourism awards, tourism council, tourism industry, tourism ministry, tourist arrivals, transportation development, travel and tourism, world tourist