Madhavan Nair, Team Chandrayan named CNN-IBN Indian of the YearFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Eminent space scientist G. Madhavan Nair and Team Chandrayaan have been declared the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2008 Monday. Nair, currently the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), and his team also bagged an award in the Public Service category at the event.
“CNN-IBN Indian of the Year Awards initiative is an attempt to recognise the contribution of individuals who have stood first amongst equals,” said Rajdeep Sardesai, editor-in-chief, IBN network.
Also honoured at the do was Bollywood veteran Dilip Kumar with the Lifetime Achievement Award and late assistant subp-inspector Tukaram Omble and the Mumbai police - ‘The Mumbai Bravehearts’ - for Extraordinary Service to the Nation during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
HDFC Bank MD Aditya Puri, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Abhinav Bindra and Bollywood actor Aamir Khan won the awards in the business, politics, sports and entertainment category respectively.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was also presented a Special Achievement Award for her contribution to bringing a change in the state of Delhi.
Music maestro A.R. Rahman was felicitated with an award in a stand-alone Global Indian Category for putting India on the global entertainment map with his Golden Globe Award and three Oscar nominations for underdog drama “Slumdog Millionaire”.
The winners were chosen through a unique four-tier selection process audited by Ernst & Young.
- 'India's Got Talent 2' contestant to receive Super Idol award - Nov 12, 2010
- Network18 to felicitate young Indian leaders - Oct 20, 2010
- Hazare is CNN-IBN Indian of the Year - Dec 17, 2011
- Rahman wins entertainer of the year award - Dec 17, 2009
- Now vote for 'The Greatest Indian' - Jun 05, 2012
- Decision on Pillai, a governance issue: Congress - Jul 22, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh government gagging media: CNN-IBN (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Omar Abdullah ensures amicable resolution to 'News X' controversy - Jul 11, 2010
- 'Getting upset over cartoons immature' - May 19, 2012
- Salman supports Saif, says media was biased - Feb 24, 2012
- Nitish Kumar 'Politician of the Year' - Jan 31, 2009
- Coomi Kapoor elected new secretary-general of Editors Guild - Dec 24, 2009
- Shankar Still Going Strong On 'Enthiran' Success - Dec 17, 2010
- It's an art to smile at failure: Cyrus Broacha - Mar 12, 2010
- Hang me if I'm proved guilty: Kalmadi - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, abhinav bindra, aditya puri, bravehearts, cnn, cnn ibn, dilip kumar, global entertainment, golden globe award, indian space research, indian space research organisation, lifetime achievement award, madhavan, mumbai police, music maestro, sheila dikshit, space scientist, state of delhi, three oscar nominations, tukaram