M.A. Yusuf Ali resigns from Air India boardJuly 21st, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 21 (IANS) M.A. Yusuf Ali, an industrialist from the Middle East, has resigned from the Air India board.
Speaking to reporters Saturday, Ali said that in the past two years since he became a member of the board of directors of Air India, he had been unable to do anything for the Keralites working in the Middle East when the fares were going up.
“Moreover, with the Kerala government deciding to go ahead with the proposal to float Kerala Airways, I felt there would be a conflict of interest if I remain on the board of Air India. Hence, I decided to resign,” he said.
Ali said the idea to start Kerala Airways was first floated at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Delhi more than five years ago.
“Now this proposal is going to be showcased in ‘Emerging Kerala’ - a business meeting to be held in Kochi in September,” said Ali.
M.A. Yusuf Ali owns the Lulu Supermarkets chain in the Middle East and other parts of the world.
He has also been Kerala’s ambassador in the Arab world where more than three million people from Kerala work.
Kerala Airways is a pet project of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy. This was first talked about when he was chief minister from 2004-06. But the project had then failed to move forward.
In this project, the state government, along with private players, plans to form a company to operate air services to the Middle East.
Chandy, after becoming the chief minister again, has announced that conditions are ripe to revive the project.
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala seeks chartered flights from Middle East - Jun 19, 2012
- Work on Smart City to begin next month: Chandy - Aug 21, 2011
- Chandy seeks immediate reduction in Middle East airfares - Jun 10, 2012
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Kerala to offer investment options to NRKs: Chandy - May 16, 2011
- Air Kerala will start with flights to Middle East: Chandy - Sep 14, 2012
- Chandy to take up AI Express HQ shifting with ministry - Jul 23, 2012
- Chandy to help end expatriates' passport woes - Sep 28, 2011
- Chandy calls upon diaspora to make investors meet success - Dec 29, 2011
- Kapil Dev meets Chandy for a mega hospital project - Sep 28, 2011
- Smart City project should go on with Dubai, demands Congress - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: air india, arab world, business meeting, chief minister, conflict of interest, industrialist, kerala government, keralites, kochi, lulu, member of the board, more than five years, oommen chandy, pet project, pravasi bharatiya divas, private players, showcased, state government, thiruvananthapuram, yusuf ali