M. Nambiar is new civil aviation secretarySeptember 15th, 2008 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 15 (IANS) M. Madhavan Nambiar, special secretary in the ministry of information and technology, has been appointed secretary in the civil aviation ministry replacing Ashok Chawla, who has been moved to the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) as secretary, the government said Monday.Both Nambiar and Chawla are expected to take over their new assignments Sep 17.
Nambiar, a 1974 batch IAS officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre, will have to grapple with not only the slowdown in the aviation industry but also the financial health of the loss-making national carrier, Air India.
Chawla, a 1973 batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer, was the additional secretary in the DEA till around 18 months ago, before being appointed the civil aviation secretary.
The DEA secretary is a key member of the team responsible for preparing the Union budget and is designated as the finance secretary.
There are four secretaries in the finance ministry, heading the departments of economic affairs, revenue, financial services and expenditure.
Of them, financial services secretary Arun Ramanathan and revenue secretary P.V. Bhide were also considered for the finance secretary’s post.
The DEA’s top post was lying vacant since D. Subbarao took over as the governor of the Reserve Bank of India Sep 5.
- Nambiar takes over from Chawla as aviation secretary (Lead) - Sep 15, 2008
- R Gopalan appointed Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs - Jan 31, 2011
- Srivastava named civil aviation secretary - Jul 26, 2012
- Shashi Kant Sharma takes over as Secretary in Finance Ministry - Feb 09, 2011
- Arvind Mayaram appointed economic affairs secretary - Jul 26, 2012
- Zaidi takes charge as new Civil Aviation Secretary - Nov 30, 2010
- Ashok Chawla new finance secretary, Brahma power secretary - May 12, 2009
- Sunil Mitra is revenue secretary, Sumit Bose to head disinvestment - Feb 01, 2010
- Ashok Chawla appointed on State Bank board - May 14, 2009
- Air India gets new chief, turnaround strategy soon (Intro Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Government mulls more funds to keep Air India flying - Sep 19, 2011
- Shashi Kant Sharma next defence secretary - Jul 07, 2011
- Sharma is new secretary, department of financial services - Feb 09, 2011
- Arun Ramanathan India's new finance secretary - Sep 23, 2008
- New chief, turnaround strategy for Air India soon (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: air india, arun, ashok, aviation industry, bank of india, carrier air, civil aviation ministry, economic affairs, finance ministry, finance secretary, financial health, information and technology, ministry of information, nambiar, national carrier, ramanathan, reserve bank of india, revenue secretary, subbarao, union budget