Lufthansa pilots launch four-day strikeFebruary 22nd, 2010 - 8:57 am ICT by IANS
Frankfurt, Feb 22 (DPA) Pilots went on strike Monday at Lufthansa, knocking out 3,200 flights according to the company’s skeleton timetable.
The four-day work stoppage will be the biggest stoppage labour disruption in the German airline’s history.
In preparation, Lufthansa was trying to reschedule passengers onto jets flown by non-union staff and offering refunds to passengers who must cancel trips.
There was a rush in recent days to book with other airlines or rebook travel within Europe by rail instead.
More than 4,000 of Lufthansa’s 4,500 pilots are members of the Cockpit Association, which in May demanded pay hikes of 6.4 percent, a no-layoffs promise and commitments from the airline not to outsource operations to lower-pay subsidiaries.
With a deadlock after months of talks, Cockpit Association members voted last week to authorise an all-out stoppage.
Experienced Lufthansa flight captains earn between 110,000 and 250,000 euros ($150,000 and 340,000) per year.
Pilots still abroad early Monday were told to work one more homebound leg before joining the strike.
The Monday-Thursday strike will also affect subsidiaries Germanwings and Lufthansa Cargo, but not subsidiaries such as Swiss, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, British Midland, Eurowings, Air Dolomiti and Lufthansa Italia.
- Lufthansa pilots suspend strike after talks - Feb 23, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots launch a 4-day strike - Feb 22, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots announce four-day strike next month - Mar 22, 2010
- Lufthansa strike cancels 300 flights - Sep 05, 2012
- Lufthansa pilots call strike for next week - Feb 17, 2010
- Passengers stranded as 40 Kingfisher flights axed (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Kingfisher pilots go on strike - Jul 14, 2012
- Kingfisher pilots go on strike, 40 flights cancelled (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Air India cancels 165 flights as pilots continue strike - May 02, 2011
- AI not to levy cancellation or refund fees - Apr 27, 2011
- Striking pilots ground Air India fliers for second day - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India pilots strike: Stand off continues, 100 flights cancelled - Apr 29, 2011
- Pilots still on strike, over 50 Air India flights cancelled - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India cancels 35 Mumbai flights - May 02, 2011
- Air India's 'sick' pilots continue protest, four flights cancelled (Lead) - May 09, 2012
Tags: air dolomiti, association members, austrian airlines, british midland, brussels airlines, cockpit, deadlock, eurowings, german airline, germanwings, layoffs, lufthansa, lufthansa cargo, lufthansa flight, lufthansa italia, lufthansa pilots, monday thursday, travel within europe, union staff, work stoppage