Lufthansa names Christoph Franz as new CEOSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 7:12 pm ICT by BNO News
FRANKFURT, GERMANY (BNO NEWS) — Deutsche Lufthansa AG has announced that Christoph Franz will become the airline’s new chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) as of next year.
Lufthansa’s announcement was expected as current CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber is expected to retire at the end of the year after almost 8 years in the position.
Franz, 50, of Frankfurt, Germany, was appointed as deputy CEO 18 months ago. The change at the helm of the Group shall take place with effect from January 1, 2011.
Also with effect from the start of 2011, the members of the Supervisory Board appointed Carsten Spohr, 43, of Wanne-Eickel, Germany, to the Executive Board of the Lufthansa Group. As head of Lufthansa German Airlines he shall also occupy the position of CEO and Chairman of the Lufthansa German Airlines Board.
“Our company is characterized by a responsible personnel and executive development guided by foresight and it is this very development that regularly assures us an outstanding management team,” commented Supervisory Board Chairman Jürgen Weber.
Franz will be responsible for the Lufthansa Group and its five business segments: the Passenger Airline Group, Logistics, MRO, IT Services and Catering with a total of over 116,000 employees worldwide.
Spohr will assume responsibility for Lufthansa German Airlines and its over 37,000 staff worldwide on the Executive Board of the Lufthansa Group.
- Commercial flights to use biofuel from next year - Dec 18, 2010
- Lufthansa strike cancels 300 flights - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Air India may have to wait longer to join Star Alliance' - Jan 23, 2010
- Lufthansa to relaunch onboard internet service - Dec 01, 2010
- Lufthansa introduces new jet service, hopes to increase India market share - Aug 08, 2012
- Star Alliance defers Air India's membership - Aug 01, 2011
- Lufthansa to fly new B747-8 aircraft on India route - Jul 09, 2012
- Lufthansa pilots suspend strike after talks - Feb 23, 2010
- German airspace partially reopened - Apr 18, 2010
- ET Now to launch new business reality show - Nov 09, 2010
- Lufthansa Cargo plane crashes in Saudi Arabia, no fatalities - Jul 27, 2010
- Lufthansa to cancel 1,200 flights Friday - Sep 07, 2012
- Lufthansa offers students a `Touch of Home' in the air - Jun 07, 2010
- Lufthansa Group to increase flights from India - Jun 24, 2010
- 'India aiming to be among top five aviation markets' - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: airline group, bno, board chairman, business segments, carsten spohr, chief executive officer, deputy ceo, deutsche lufthansa ag, executive development, foresight, frankfurt germany, group logistics, jürgen weber, lufthansa, lufthansa german airlines, lufthansa group, passenger airline, supervisory board, wanne eickel, wolfgang mayrhuber