Lots of oil and gas in Colombia, but few buyersJanuary 20th, 2010 - 6:37 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 20 (IANS/EFE) Colombia has large deposits of oil and gas but very few buyers, the country’s energy minister said while announcing a $10-billion investment plan in the sector this year.
Energy and Mines Minister Hernan Martinez Torres said current rate of hydrocarbon production is more than 730,000 barrels per day and is expected to increase to over 800,000 bpd this year.
“In Colombia, if there’s a big discovery, there’s no one to sell it to. That’s the sad part, so we have to expand our export possibilities,” Torres said.
He said his aim this year is to invest $4 billion in exploration projects.
Colombia has about 1.6 billion barrels of proven hydrocarbon reserves. Last year, 53 small oil and gas deposits were discovered.
Gas production has increased from 700 million cubic feet per day to 1.1 billion cfd at present over the past three years, therefore new export markets such as Panama and Jamaica are being considered, he told the El Espectador newspaper.
A $3.7-billion project to expand the oil refinery in the northern city of Cartagena is underway, while the refinery in the eastern city of Barrancabermeja is being modernized with an investment of $3 billion, according to the daily Tuesday.
- Colombia expects $10 bn in energy, mining investment this year - Jan 20, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Colombia has record oil output in February - Mar 10, 2011
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Colombia to auction off 230 oil fields - Jun 22, 2010
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Colombia banks on tax treaty to push business ties with India - Mar 13, 2011
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- ONGC-led consortium to invest $3 billion in Venezuela - Jul 11, 2012
- Colombia's oil exports total over $10 bn in 2009 - Mar 04, 2010
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Production at Venezuela gas field to start in 15 months - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, barrancabermeja, bogota, cartagena, cfd, colombia, cubic feet, current rate, efe, el espectador, energy minister, exploration projects, export markets, export possibilities, hydrocarbon production, hydrocarbon reserves, investment plan, martinez torres, oil and gas, oil refinery