London-style AC double-decker buses for Kolkata tourismOctober 17th, 2011 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 17 (IANS) Taking forward Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s promise to make “Kolkata into London”, the city authorities will soon introduce two open-deck AC double-decker buses for sightseeing.
“Two open-deck AC double-decker buses will arrive in the city very soon. They are waiting for shipment in China. Two AC Volvo buses will also arrive,” Tourism Minister Rachpal Singh told IANS.
“These buses will be used for tourism. Those who want to tour the top heritage sites and tourist destinations of the city can take the bus ride. City dwellers can also take the ride but it will be strictly for tourism purpose,” Singh said.
London has a fleet of double decker buses, and runs popular heritage trips on them.
Singh said the tourism department will bring in more such buses if the initiative succeeds. The buses will ply on two routes - one on the northern part of the city and the other on the southern part.
“The AC double decker buses will tour the various important tourist sites such as the Kali temple in Kalighat, Victoria Memorial, and other important tourist destinations. While the AC Volvo buses will tour heritage sites of north Kolkata such as Rabindranath Tagore’s home Jorasanko Thakurbari, house of Vivekanada, Shovabazar Rajbari (the palace of the erstwhile zamindars of Sovabazar in north Kolkata),” he said.
The city had double-decker buses which first started plying in 1926. During the Left Front regime in late eighties, 200 double-decker buses were brought to the city but were discarded after some time.
The double-decker buses slowly disappeared from the streets of Kolkata as the authorities said they were not suitable for the city streets.
“This is our initiative to bring back the lost glory,” said Singh.
- Fully booked: Puja high for Bengal tourism - Sep 28, 2011
- Heritage tag for more Bengal monuments, buildings: Minister - Jul 01, 2011
- AC double-decker train from Jharkhand to start soon - Oct 22, 2010
- Travel in high-speed double-decker from Bangalore to Chennai - Mar 14, 2012
- 50 Indian double-decker buses to run on Bangladesh roads - May 07, 2012
- Efforts on to promote tourism in Bengal: Minister - Jul 19, 2011
- Bangalore adds plush Mercedez buses to city fleet - Aug 28, 2010
- Chandigarh to shine bright at night (With image) - Jul 31, 2011
- Ashok Leyland bags Bangladesh order for 290 buses - May 25, 2011
- Dikshit launches hop-on, hop-off tourist bus service (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Bengal minister in war of words with travel show organisers - Jul 13, 2012
- India's first air-conditioned double-decker rail coach developed in Kapurthala - Feb 26, 2010
- 15 die as boat sinks in Vietnam - May 21, 2011
- Travel to Jaipur in double-decker train - Aug 24, 2012
- India's first superfast double-decker train flagged off - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: bus ride, chief minister, city authorities, city dwellers, city streets, double decker buses, eighties, fleet, kalighat, london style, open deck, rabindranath tagore, sightseeing, tourism department, tourism minister, tourist destinations, tourist sites, victoria memorial, volvo, volvo buses