Loan repayments are going well:British bankOctober 14th, 2008 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 14 (DPA) Britain’s nationalised mortgage lender Northern Rock said Tuesday it was “well ahead” of its government loan repayment target, having paid back more than half of the 26 billion pounds ($45 billion) in emergency loans from the Bank of England.Government-appointed Northern Rock chief executive Ron Sandler said that as on Sep 30, the sum of 11.4 billion pounds was still outstanding.
Since nationalisation of Britain’s fifth-biggest mortgage lender in February, Sandler’s strategy involved halving the balance sheet to 50 billion pounds by the end of 2011 by stopping all business lending and accelerating mortgage redemptions for existing customers.
Northern Rock said it had attracted three billion pounds of new retail deposits during the third quarter, taking the total to 17.2 billion pounds as customers flock to banks perceived as “safe”.
The lender said it advanced 2.4 billion pounds of mortgage lending during the nine months to the end of Sep and 1,500 of 6,500 jobs have been cut.
However, the group’s mortgage arrears figures jumped by nearly 60 percent during the last three months, as the number of home repossessions increased.
- British watchdog to investigate Goldman Sachs - Apr 20, 2010
- US sues financial firms over mortgage losses - Sep 03, 2011
- Britain nationalises ailing B&B (Lead) - Sep 29, 2008
- Mortgage rise to hit millions in Britain - Mar 03, 2012
- Britain nationalises ailing mortgage lender B&B to avert run - Sep 29, 2008
- Spanish government prods banks to modify mortgages - Mar 11, 2012
- Second British bank nationalised as US credit crunch spreads (Roundup) - Sep 29, 2008
- British government nationalises second bank hit by credit crunch - Sep 29, 2008
- Pakistan to repay $8 bn to IMF - Aug 05, 2011
- ICICI Bank hikes lending, deposit rates - Dec 04, 2010
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Increasing numbers are committing mortgage fraud - Aug 22, 2012
- Citibank unveils mortgage product for home loan facility - Dec 21, 2009
- Britain poised to sell off three nationalised banks - Nov 01, 2009
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012