Lloyd’s of London eyes India, China for growthMay 12th, 2012 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 12 (IANS) Lloyd’s of London, Britain’s 325-year-old insurance and reinsurance market, has unveiled a plan to substantially promote its business growth in emerging markets, including India, China and Brazil.
The strategy, called Vision 2025, was launched Friday in the Lloyd’s underwriting room at a ceremony attended by British Prime Minister David Cameron, and will see Lloyd’s stress on the “faster growing markets”, reported Xinhua.
“What we are trying to set out is a high-level strategy. With the growth in economies such as China and India, we need to attract capital and business from those economies. This is not something that is going to happen overnight,” said Lloyd’s CEO Richard Ward.
Ward cited Lloyd’s insurer Catlin’s recent deal with China Reinsurance as an example.
In November 2011, Catlin struck a deal to manage a new syndicate at Lloyd’s of London on behalf of China Reinsurance, the largest reinsurer in the country. The deal marks the first time that a Chinese company has invested money directly at Lloyd’s market.
Cameron expressed his support for the strategy.
“I welcome the drive and ambition with which Lloyd’s is pursuing plans for where it wants to be in 2025. This is a great example of the bold and dynamic approach we need as we work to foster sustainable economic growth across the country,” he said.
- Non-life insurers need to be prudent in underwriting risks: GIC - Aug 18, 2012
- GIC having a relook at obligatory reinsurance contracts - Aug 17, 2012
- Denmark to boost exports to BRIC economies - May 10, 2012
- Chinese firm to invest $2 bn to expand operation in Britain - Sep 12, 2012
- Aegon Religare targeting Rs.500 crore premium in 2010-11 - Oct 08, 2010
- GIC Re covered for Japan risks: Chairman - Mar 15, 2011
- Insurance industry need to innovate, simplify products: Study - Aug 05, 2012
- Reliance Life looks to next big steps in ties with Nippon - Oct 09, 2011
- IRDA asks general insurers to avoid unhealthy competition - Dec 16, 2011
- United India Insurance targets Rs.8,000 crore premium - Nov 10, 2011
- British PM plans cabinet reshuffle to boost economy - Sep 03, 2012
- Indian insurers taking stock of Japanese tsunami - Mar 11, 2011
- Cambodia establishes first life insurance firm - Aug 14, 2011
- Request for insurance cover soars as Middle East unrest spreads - Mar 06, 2011
- United India targets Rs.8,000 crore premium income - May 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,