Left-UNPA joint protest against price rise from April 16April 7th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 7 (ANI): Left parties, which offer outside support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Government, will join hands with the United National Progressive Alliance (UNPA) in a week-long country wide protest against the price rise from April 16.
Communist Party of India (Marxist) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury told reporters on Sunday that the joint battle would be limited to the price rise only.
Both parties said the Governments understanding of the cause of inflation was erroneous and the measures taken to check it inadequate.
They demanded the universalisation of the Public Distribution System (PDS) and a ban on futures trading in 25 agricultural commodities as proposed by the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution, while seeking stringent action against hoarders.
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D. Raja said: I have asked my party units across the country to picket Central Government offices on April 17 and 18, and launch a de-hoarding campaign.
He further warned that the UPA would have to pay a heavy political price because of the rising prices.
Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh said the GDP growth has only affected a handful of people, and added that the UPA Government had done nothing substantive for the common man.
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader Yerran Naidu said: “The UPA came to power on aam aadmi slogan but it has betrayed the common man.”
The Left parties and the UNPA have already planned separate protests against spiraling prices. (ANI)
- UPA's policies bound to raise prices: CPI-M - Oct 28, 2011
- BJP calls pan-India strike against price rise July 5 - Jun 29, 2010
- Wrong policies of UPA responsible for price rise: Karat - Feb 09, 2011
- CWC meet begins, economic situation on agenda - Jun 04, 2012
- Roll back diesel hike, cooking gas cylinder cap, demands BJP - Sep 14, 2012
- Curb inflation or 'go', opposition slams government (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2011
- Samajwadi Party workers clash with police during protest - Sep 16, 2011
- I'm not a saint: Mulayam makes clear his PM ambition - Sep 13, 2012
- People's anger on inflation can turn violent, says BJP - Nov 22, 2011
- Samajwadi Party wants PM to quit over price rise - Aug 10, 2009
- BJP, Left slam petrol price hike - May 14, 2011
- UPA government ignoring 'aam aadmi': Brinda Karat - Oct 02, 2010
- Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda Karat - Aug 01, 2012
- Opposition calls all-India shutdown July 5 (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- CWC likely to ask Sonia to choose presidential nominee (Lead) - May 29, 2012
Tags: agricultural commodities, amar singh, cause of inflation, central government offices, common man, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, gdp growth, hoarding, left parties, naidu, parliamentary standing committee, party leader, politburo member, progressive alliance, public distribution system, sitaram yechury, stringent action, united national, unpa