Left protests petrol price hike in KeralaNovember 4th, 2011 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 4 (IANS) Student and youth organisations backed by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Friday staged protests across Kerala to protest the hike in petrol prices by Rs.1.82 the day before.
While youth and student organisations of the opposition CPI-M staged demonstrations outside central government offices in several parts of the state, former finance minister Thomas Issac gave notice of an adjournment motion on the issue in the assembly.
Stating that the “responsible government” would do its best to lessen the burden on the people, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy agreed to a discussion on the issue.
The Left-supported motor workers unions also called for a statewide protest Saturday. A meeting at Kozhikode of the Coordination Committee of Motor Workers to discuss the issue saw differences of opinion between unions backed by the Left and the Congress.
While the Left unions wanted joint protests Saturday by not plying buses, taxis and autorickshaws across the state, the Congress-backed unions did not agree. The Left unions then decided to go ahead unilaterally.
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- Former CPI-M leader killed in Kerala - May 05, 2012
- New pension scheme for Kerala government employees - Aug 09, 2012
- Buses stoned in Thiruvananthapuram shutdown - Sep 17, 2011
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Welcome CPI-M's discussions on re-looking ideology: Chandy - Nov 18, 2011
- CPI-M jittery as police dig deeper into murder case (Kerala Newsletter) - May 26, 2012
- Three CPI-M workers held for Kerala leader's murder - May 17, 2012
- Strike paralyses parts of India (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Protests against police firing rock Kerala assembly - Oct 11, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: adjournment motion, central government offices, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, coordination committee, CPI, finance minister, issac, kerala, kozhikode, oommen chandy, petrol prices, price hike, responsible government, rs 1, student organisations, thiruvananthapuram, workers unions, youth organisations