Left Front finalises list for Rajya Sabha nominees from BengalMarch 13th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, Mar 13 (ANI): After nearly a month-long stalemate, finally the CPI (M)-led ruling Left Front in West Bengal on Thursday arrived to a seat sharing formula for five Rajya Sabha seats for the March 26 elections.
The issue was settled after the Forward Bloc climbed down from its stand and gave up one of the two RS seats held by the party to accommodate another Front partner CPI.
After a meeting of the Left Front, its Chairman and CPI (M) state Secretary Biman Bose said that Forward Bloc General Secretary Debabrata Biswas would be re-nominated by the Front Bloc, while its sitting Rajya Sabha member Barun Mukherjee, whose term ends in 2012, would submit his resignation after the March 26 elections.
Of the four seats, CPI (M) will contest in three and the FB in one while the Front will support an apolitical independent candidate for the fifth seat, Bose said.
The Forward Bloc had earlier decided to go alone in the Panchayat polls following differences with the CPI (M).
Bose said the CPI(M) had nominated party veterans Prasanta Chatterjee (Kolkata) and Tarini Roy (Cooch Behar) for the second term, while another member Khabiruddin Ahmed, who is unwell, has been replaced by party central committee member and state CITU president Shyamal Chakraborty. (ANI)
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- Mamata scores major points against Left (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 04, 2012
- CITU calls off July 31 transport strike - Jul 29, 2012
- LF renominates Tapan Sen as Rajya Sabha candidate (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal first phase (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- LF renominates Tapan Sen as Rajya Sabha candidate - Mar 13, 2012
- Polling begins in Bengal, proceeds peacefully (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Rajya Sabha candidates elected unopposed in Bengal - Jul 16, 2011
- RSP MP in West Bengal quits party after being denied ticket - Mar 20, 2009
- Left Front announces nominees for Kolkata civic polls - Apr 17, 2010
- Left Front leaders to attend Mamata's swearing-in - May 20, 2011
- Left in dilemma over support to Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Left opposes hike in fuel prices - May 23, 2012
- Mamata's not going to Dhaka a gimmick: Left - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: barun, biman, biswas, bose, central committee member, chatterjee, cooch behar, CPI, debabrata, fifth seat, forward bloc, general secretary, independent candidate, kolkata, party central committee, rajya sabha member, second term, stalemate, state secretary, west bengal