Left Front de-listed 46 Kolkta heritage structures: MayorJune 29th, 2010 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 28 (IANS) Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee Monday accused the previous Left Front run Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) of removing 46 heritage buildings and properties from the heritage list.
“I will do everything to save the heritage buildings of Kolkata. The previous KMC board de-listed 46 heritage building and property for building construction,” Chatterjee said in an interactive session at the Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
He said he had stopped process after coming to power. “I will not pass it until and unless I am convinced about the reasons behind the de-listing,” he said.
Buildings with architectural significance and traditional values are considered for their preservation and conservation. These buildings play an important role in the history of the city of Kolkata.
Kolkata has many buildings adorned with Gothic, Roman, Indo-Islamic (including Mughal) and colonial motifs. These edifices are architecturally significant and their traditional values call for their preservation and conservation.
But while several major buildings of the colonial period are well maintained and have been declared “heritage structures”, others are in various stages of decay.
- Two-storey public toilets in Kolkata - Jun 24, 2012
- Rs.1,300 crore ADB loan to Kolkata municipality - Feb 03, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata's heritage New Market doused (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata's New Market - Jul 20, 2011
- Sovan Chatterjee to be new Kolkata mayor - Jun 06, 2010
- Sovan Chatterjee sworn in as Kolkata mayor - Jun 16, 2010
- Indian diaspora's beginnings to be recorded for posterity - Jul 03, 2011
- Cities replacing countryside on new Indian artscape (With Images) - Apr 11, 2011
- Will British era building soon be Shimla spa? (With Image) - Jul 27, 2011
- Rethinking heritage conservation in India (April 18 is World Heritage Day) - Apr 17, 2011
- Scottish team in Gujarat to document ancient heritage - Mar 08, 2011
- Mamata pitches for mediclaim for sex workers - Jan 13, 2011
- Mamata hints at siphoning of funds during Left's rule - Aug 22, 2011
- Make Kolkata, Rio twin cities, suggests trade body - Nov 25, 2010
- Nirma shareholders vote for delisting - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: architectural significance, bengal, building construction, chamber of commerce, chamber of commerce and industry, chatterjee, colonial period, decay, edifices, heritage buildings, heritage structures, indo, interactive session, kmc, kolkata, motifs, traditional values