Late rally helps Sensex move up 147 points (Roundup)July 19th, 2011 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 19 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Tuesday rose in a late rally, closing 147 points up, with some large heavyweights seeing healthy buys.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,521.38 points, closed at 18,653.87 points, up 146.83 points or 0.79 percent compared to its previous close at 18,507.04 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also ended higher at 5,609.7 points, up 0.71 percent.
Both benchmark indices were languishing in the negative for most of the trading day.
Broader markets too notched up some gains. The BSE midcap index closed 0.41 percent up while the BSE smallcap index moved up 0.82 percent.
The market breadth at the BSE was still tilted towards the positive with 1,652 stocks advancing, 1,219 on the decline and 133 remaining unchanged.
Consumer durables, IT and telecom stocks were among the top gainers, while some auto and power scrips ended losers.
Among the gainers on the 30-scrip Sensex were: DLF, up 2.09 percent at Rs.239.85; Sterlite Industries, up 1.77 percent at Rs. 166.50; Tata Power, up 1.62 percent at Rs.1,314.90 and SBI, up 1.59 percent at Rs.2,511.60.
The losers included Tata Motors, down 3.16 percent at Rs.983.95; Hero Honda, down 1.22 percent at Rs.1,795.35; Maruti Suzuki, down 0.79 percent at Rs.1,162.90; and HDFC Bank, down 0.7 percent at Rs.510.80.
According to data available with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), foreign institutional investors sold stocks worth $11.81 million Tuesday.
The sovereign debt crisis in Europe and some banks in the region failing a stress test kept sentiments low. The stalemate in the US over raising the debt ceiling also worried investors.
The Japanese Nikkei closed Tuesday 0.85 percent lower at 9,889.72 points.
The Hang Seng of the Hong Kong stock exchange ended 0.45 percent up at 21,902.4 points, while the Chinese Shanghai composite index closed 0.7 percent down at 2,796.98 points.
Among European bourses, Britain’s FTSE 100 was ruling 0.5 percent up at 5,781.53 points, and the French CAC 40 was ruling 1.28 percent higher at 3,697.6 points.
The German DAX was up 1.47 percent at 7,212.11 points.
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex slips after RBI policy action, trading 70 points down - Jul 31, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 176 points higher despite dull global cues (Roundup) - Jun 23, 2011
- Sensex pares some losses, closes 148 points down - Oct 20, 2011
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, debt ceiling, foreign institutional investors, hero honda, hong kong stock, hong kong stock exchange, kong stock exchange, market breadth, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, securities and exchange board of india, sensitive index, smallcap index, sterlite industries, stress test, tata motors, tata power, telecom stocks, top gainers