Large aircraft allowed from Patna till Aug 31August 12th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 12 (IANS) Large aircraft such as Airbus 320 and Boeing 737 have been allowed to operate from Patna airport till Aug 31, officials said Sunday.
The the Airports Authority of India (AAI) earlier imposed a ban on these planes’ flights from the airport from Aug 16.
“The threat is temporarily over,” said an official of the state government dealing with civil aviation.
The runway had become unsafe for the operation of large aircraft after the AAI re-notified its length due to the presence of trees near it, official said.
According to Patna airport director Arvind Dubey, the AAI had given the much-needed relief to Bihar by extending its deadline to implement the revised runway distances at the Patna airport.
“A notice to the official concerned was issued in this connection late Saturday,” he said.
The AAI decision came after the state government assured the union civil aviation ministry to implement its order for safety of the airport, another official said.
Private airlines Indigo, GoAir and Jet, which had suspended their ticket bookings for Patna in view of the earlier deadline, resumed the process after the large planes were allowed to use the airport till Aug 31, authorities at the airport said.
The AAI, on the recommendation of Director General of Civil Aviation, had re-notified the airport’s runway length after the Bihar government refused to cut or prune trees near it, officials said.
A Patna airport official admitted that pruning and cutting of trees was vital for the safe landing and takeoff of aircraft.
According to the forest department, some 3,700 trees may have to be cut. These include semal, bamboo, amaltas, banyan, kusum and arjun trees.
- No large aircraft from Patna from Aug 16 - Aug 05, 2012
- AAI relaxes deadline for Patna airport till Oct 31 - Sep 18, 2012
- Patna airport told to cut trees for safety - May 28, 2012
- Students campaign against cutting of trees in Patna zoo - Aug 28, 2010
- 4,000 trees in Patna zoo face the axe for airport safety (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Will Patna zoo lose 4,000 trees to airport safety? - Aug 27, 2010
- Agartala airport to be air hub - Mar 02, 2012
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Dog scare at Pakistani Kashmir airport! - Jan 11, 2012
- Agra may soon get international air terminal (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Agra may soon get international air terminal - Jun 09, 2012
- Trees cut for Holi, green activists despair - Mar 07, 2012
- Goa airport runway cut down for five hours a day - Apr 12, 2011
- Shillong airport's new terminal opens Saturday - Jun 22, 2011
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: airbus 320, airport director, airports authority of india, airports authority of india aai, arjun, arvind, bihar government, boeing 737, civil aviation ministry, director general, distances, forest department, goair, kusum, patna airport, private airlines, runway length, state government, takeoff, ticket bookings